Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Taking University by the Horns.

(I was going to use my new college vocabulary, but I do know that there are some of my relatives who would not like to see how rebelious I am.)
Ahem.
I am not a Biology Major.
Ok. Technically I still am. On paper.
But my heart was changed weeks ago.
My "interest" in science was a self-placed psychologically tweeked engravement in my mind because I wanted to have a career that was financially stable. Silly silly reasoning. I did NOT want to be like my parents, and become pastors, going to seminary and not being able to always buy what I wanted. How selfish that statement is.
Within this first month of college, I have realized that I have A LOT to say. About God and about many other things. I like to be informed and to have the answer. I like to be able to tell other people about things so that they can also e informed. I love to tell people of the things I know in a laid back atmosphere. When I go running I can talk about what I'm thinking, blurting out thoughts as the enter my brain. I realized this month that I want to be directly helping make people happy, and more stable in that happiness.
At my first piano lesson, I realized how much of a commitment that two credit class was. My teacher, knowing that it wasn't my first priority, not being a music major, still made it possible for me to have an hour long lesson. The fact that I hadn't had a lesson for almost nine months showed how rusty I was, but she hit the nail on the head and we got going. I want to practice everyday. I want to play all the time. but I ahve these pesky classes that I have to go to. Biolopleh, which I have to have a diet Coke and constant texts from friends to survive, along with lots of burps and giggles with my friend Susan. And Chemistry... I have found a love. But it is time consuming and motivating to do better in. Chemistry is more absolute than Biology--it is more like math than science for me. Which is one of the reasons why I think I enjoy it. Realizing that, I could have done well in a math class this semester. And although it would have been time consuming, all of the work is directly related to a formula, which is preferred.
Back to Piano, though. It is directly connected to my brain. When I practice, it's not studying, a habit that I have to reinitiate myself with. It's like eating, and sleeping. Something that not only makes a day better, but it makes it so I can function. (Have you met me when I haven't eaten? I'm constantly reverting back to the hunger every five minutes.)
I'm addicted to caffeine, as stated for Biology. Who knew science was so boring I'd have to do drugs to get through it.
Not that all science is unbearable. I enjoy setting up Greta Ann's Human Anatomy and Physiology labs even though I haven't gotten to see any cadavers yet. My time will come. I did tell her I had interest in that. There are jars with pigs, possums, jeely fish, and some unidentified I think headless organism in them. There are also skulls. (All of these I have observed and entertained myself with while setting up labs and getting easily distracted.) The most surprising skull for me was the fetus skull. It was so light! I was surprised. But I recall holding baby Carmine, when I was working with Tessa this past spring. He was so light. It's saddening, and frightening, and I don't know what I think about it. If I had a baby and it died, I wouldn't donate it to science. That seems insensitive.
I'm kicking *butt* in my Ruling Ideas class. I'm writing a children's book. We were supposed to write it about a person college aged who made a difference. I was struggling with finding a person to write mind about. So I decided to do Jamila, who is in my Honors class, and participated in the Morocco YES trip this past year. The illurstrating is going pretty well, but it is time consuming and I don't know if I am going to be able to finish and still feel good about the pictures I'm drawing and shading. I will post the pages of the book after I am finished.
Animal blood.
Never thought I would write about it, but Greta Ann had to ahve it ordered for a lab, and it didn't come yet and so we were having to call the costumer service and see why it didn't come. The reasoning makes sense, but you'd think that they would inform the customer of the reasoning. "living" products are shipped directly from the vender on a different time schedule and they only ship on Tuesdays, and if one misses the time deadline on the Tuesday before they have to wait the entire week. That's what I learned.
I "like" my workstudy. Kind of like how I "like" dogs. I'm not sur ehwat would be better... considering there's not much work that I enjoy doing. But I could be an informant at the historical library. I just don't think I could work with Lois.
I went running yesterday. It went great. I think a lot of people are surprised that I can run so much.. Probably because I don't exactly have an athletic sort of body shape. But heck yes, I can run a little bit more than three freaking miles. :D
Dig it.
I have to pee and go get more diet Coke. And maybe go run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment