Monday, September 14, 2009

Seems Like a Dream, Really


Have you ever done something that was so out of routine with normality, and was so beautiful and perfect that, it truly seemed like it didn't happen? That it was a figment of your imagination and every second you continue imagining it seems like a pointless ritual that you should quit because it didn't really happen. ---but wait! it did. 
And that thought makes life seem so much better. And how could one live live with moments like these and not feel God in the world? See in the motion of the minutes you have with the one you love are truly a gift. Don't take them for granted. 

This Sunday was normal except for the fact that I was awakened by a phone call at 8:00 from my boyfriend. And then I went back to sleep until eleven and avoided the idea that I skipped church. I went to lunch with some of the girls and then hung around with the rest of them. At around 12:30, it was just me and Deanna sitting at the table and as the idea popped into my head, I found myself saying, "Do you want to go to Pennsylvania with me today?"
Deanna replied, "sure." and the fun began from there.
First, I called to find out when and where we would need to be. I meant to keep it a secret from Zach, but that didn't happen, considering he knows me too well.
Then we grabbed snacks, mouthwash, and homework, stopped to get gas and then got on 81.
Although few, there were some mistakes on the spontaneity of the trip-- we didn't get directions directly to the place we were headed. Luckily Deanna is from the area and called someone to give us directions. Unfortunately, Deanna also thought she knew the way. We got to Harrisburg at 3:45. We got to Mount Joy at 5:15. We took the long way. A way involving a detour through Hershey and a quick rinse of mouthwash somewhere in Manheim... 
But we got to the church without getting lost. We discovered an atlas in the car three hours into the trip.
I greeted Zach's parents, and then I saw Zach. He gave me a huge hug and smile. I also saw several other people that I knew--Chris. We talked a little, but I look forward to when I can stay at their house when visiting during family weekend. It's coming up in a few weeks. I also saw Melody Tobin. She of course didn't remember me, but I remembered her because our parents constantly receive their family's newsletter. We also saw Aaron Yutzy's sister, but did not say anything to her. She might have been freaked out.
We had some funny conversation with Denice and Toby and then there was the commissioning service. I counted it as my church for the day and enjoyed the service, especially when the worship team sang "Mighty to Save" and when the message's message was that "we as Christians stink. Let the world know!" Priceless.
And I cannot forget the time that Zach noticed I was sitting just across the way from him. He glanced over because someone was coming back to their seat and saw me and didn't see me. When he glanced again, to make sure that it was really me, he gave me a smile I can't forget easily.
Then we had the prayer circles. This was the first time that I really felt like I could be who I am in our relationship (his girlfriend) and be with God and pray with Zach and be there with him. (Every other time we have prayed together has either been on the phone or at camp, where you cannot really have a relationship.) It was closure for me. I loved that we could have that moment. I had an arm around his waist and prayed for him and thanked God for him. It was wonderful. 
We hugged goodbye for a long time. There were a lot of words that weren't said in those hugs. Just squeezed me tight. We'd only been away from each other a month and will see each other again in a couple weeks. But  him leaving for a good long time is looming ahead. So I savor every breath I take in your arms. And every word you couldn't say that you swept around my body with your strong grasp. 

I'm leaving soon
I'm leaving here soon
Please forgive me for the 
Things I forgot to say to you
I'm leaving soon
I'm leaving here soon
Please forgive me for the
Memories I left behind.

What I meant to say was goodbye
But you held me so tight
All I said was a sigh
Because I love you and I don't like this word "goodbye"

So can we stay in this embrace forever
Can the sun come up and down and never find us?
Could we just swallow our words
Until tomorrow it's absurd to let go
But I'm letting go now

I'm missing you
I really miss you
I'm reminded of the 
Things I wanted to say to you
I'm missing you
I really miss you
I'm surrounded by the
Memories left in my heart 

What I remember are the times
That you held me so tight
And I remember those lines I meant to say
But no words could express what your love did

So can we stay in this embrace forever?
Can the sun come up and down and never find us?
Could we just swallow our words until tomorrow 
It's absurd to let go
Please don't let go now.

Every second we drove away made it seem more and more like a beautiful dream that I could tell my friends of later. But it was true. It is true. Maybe all the good moments of life feel like they are dreams later on so that we realize that we need to savor them as we are in the moment. And so that we do not forget the beautiful things that happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment