Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Lifetime of a Pair of Contact Lenses

I realized today that my contacts have reached the ripe old age of almost two months, and it is time for them to be replaced with new young ones so I can read what my Ethics teacher writes on his board in such an obscure way.
And then I was thinking about these two months. And how much my life has changed.
It was the end of Fine Arts camp when I got the lenses, after misplacing one of my lenses at one o'clock in the morning the night I got back to the Peaceful house after Convention. And I functioned in my glasses until my parents brought my contacts among other provisions when they came to pick me up to go to the Engle Reunion. I was so enthralled and happy that I put them in as quickly as possible. And as I recall, we played Settlers and went to MugzWigs and then some stayed up until four in the morning. Only to leave at seven the next day for the reunion. I was exhausted almost the entire reunion and didn't really care. But I was there and that is what mattered.
There were four more weeks of camp after that. Boys Camp was wild. I washed a lot of dishes and actually got to spend a little time with Zach, who was counseling, on his break. I counseled Junior High Camp. Which was awesome. I was the coordinator of Junior Teen Camp, also another amazing week. And then there was Fledgling Camp. Not my favorite memory. I was way too exhausted to function. And there were conflicts with my co counselor, who was from Russian. Then Camp was over, and I drove home--to my new home. In Wauseon. A few illegal u turns later I arrived at the petite brick house that was now home to my things, my bed, my boxes of memories. But when I opened the boxes of memories, I was still in my yellow room with the collage wall and the stains on the carpet. With Baby sleeping on my bed and the late night conversations, with the knitted projects as well.
A week later I was back at the Peaceful house. Saying goodbye to Zach for what we thought would be three long months, which has been shortened greatly since then. I went to see him a couple of weeks ago for his Commissioning service, and I get to see him next week.
Then I spent one more week in Wauseon before driving eight and a half hours to EMU, where my college life (for rizzle this time) began. I've made friends (thank goodness) done pretty okay with grades, and written some songs. There have been some days I just couldn't put the contacts in. Like a couple days ago, I woke up thirty-five minutes after my first class had started.
But all in all these contacts have had me see through some of the most transitioning positions of my life.
No pun intended.

1 comment: