Monday, March 01, 2010

Cold Weekend

So it wasn't really cold. I was cold. I had a cold.
Full blown, crusty itchy nose, sore sinus, headache in the morning, cough with hacking tendencies, and also a little chest pain when I would breathe in deeply. These things all combined led to some rather bad nights of sleep in a bed that wasn't mine.
What did I do?
I went down to EMU for the weekend.
I rode in with Doug, Kim, Emily, and Lindsay, and I actually drove part of the way down. (I haven't driven a car since December). The discussion in the car was interesting, as they are the directors and we are the students, they were asking us about the other people in the house, and what is going on with the current alcohol situation. We arrived a little after five.
My dad came into town, and I stayed at my grandparents house. We had a great supper--Grandma Peg is doing the East Orthodox fast for lent--she's eating vegan this lent, so there were many different options for me to eat vegetarian food, which I was thankful for.
Friday morning I woke up with a gravelly voice at six thirty. Sure, I had time to get ready, but I was really unmotivated by the cold that was overtaking me. Jess and I practiced before everyone else came to plan the skit and it was still really bad, so I decided that I was going to sing softer than I would normally, which turned out fine, except the song didn't have the "graceesque" that I wish I could have added.
Bryan did a prayer, Jasmine and I shared. My sharing was all over the place. I had about half a journal page of notes that I was going off of, and I could have kept sharing, but I was talking fast, covering a lot of material and baring my soul to a lot of people that didn't know a lot about me until that point (there was a large amount of campus visitors attending the chapel). We shared three skits about our time in DC. The first one was about my experience at the Funky Fleamarket, and I was Doug's character, not myself. The skit after that was about Marty Langelman, who came in and taught us some self-defense ideals during orientation--Jess was Marty, and she did an amazing job. Corrie played the "man in the grey sweater". The third skit was about Fetsum and the Dkembe Mutombo experience after the MLK event at the Kennedy center. Fetsum played himself and it was completely hilarious. Corrie shared after that and the entire chapel was a success.
I met with Laura after chapel. The discussion wasn't as great as the first one we had (there was a bit of distraction in Common Grounds), but it was beneficial nonetheless.
I stayed in common grounds for a little while. I was checking my connections on my computer (aka Facebook and Gmail) and then my friend Anca came in and ate lunch and talked with me, and that was nice. She's taking three sciences this semester (insane) but it also working at taking piano lessons, and was telling me about how she's working on a Music minor and really loves music. I was glad to hear that and relate with her. She had made a comment about me asking her for the recipe for her vegan chocolate chip cookies, so I was telling her about my conversion to vegetarianism, and my tendency to want to eat vegan (though it's really hard to resist a good cup of chai tea) We ended our discussion close to one, because I wanted to be able to use my coupon to eat in the cafeteria.
I ate with Jamila, Mike, and a Prospective student named Liz and her father. Once they left I sat at a table with Taylor and Austin and was having a great conversation with them about dumpster diving, and other things, and soon we walked over to Common Grounds and watched the men's basketball game on online feed. (which the Rocking ROYALS WON with a 20 point advantage)
Janelle and I went thrift store shopping.
I got some new running shoes when Dad and I went to the mall later.
We went back to Grandma and Grandpa's for supper later.
Saturday started out awesome. I went over to EMU for part of Jamila's birthday celebration, and Margaret and Melanie where there from HDC, and I got to connect with them a little bit. Some of the guys made couscous and a chickpea stew that was very spicy.
Then Meg and I decided to try to get some people interested in playing a board game, and sufficiently getting some, we trooped off to find some board games. Coming up with only Settlers and Taboo after a long search, we came back physically tired, while the group we came back to had been exhausted--by homework, tours, activities of other excitement and such, and so there we were, three other participants willing enough to play a card game. Not what we had in mind, but it worked.
Crystal and I also ended up watching an epic movie that was four hours long. It was a good movie. but it was long.
I went to the Haiti benefit meal with Dad, Crystal, and Ellie, and had fun teasing a little boy while waiting in line to get food. I did try some of the desserts, though I gave up sweets for lent, because I knew it would be a long time before we had them again (I haven't had flan since my sophomore year in high school, and baklava since last fall).
Dad and I went over to Jon and Amy's house to see the boys after that--we saw baby Jarren, and also how much all the boys had grown up. While we were there, The Longest Yard came on, and we watched it until the end. I got a lot of knitting done on my blanket square I was working on.
Sunday I didn't come to church until later, and had a hard time finding it too, and then felt sick the entire service, and had to stare at a couple sitting in front of me, looking lovingly into each others eyes the entire time. It was cute, but at my state of nausea, it was sickingly cute. Literally.
Dad and I left for DC around 2:40, after having some Ethiopian coffee with Grandma and Grandpa.
I started working on my fourth square for my blanket.
Dad came with our group to the interactive project at the Dance Place that was one of the things we were going to as a group. It was interesting and beneficial, but also awkward at the beginning--I don't know if anyone was expecting it to be what it was, but we had a good time.
What should I have done?
Slept more, drank more tea (although Dad will tell you that I have no problem downing it)
sat somewhere and knitted.
sucked my cough drops and blew my nose.
But I did all of these things within my days...

No comments:

Post a Comment