Friday, March 26, 2010

Patience and Never having enough time

So I'm off to Harrisburg via Greyhound bus in about thirty minutes. Meaning: I'm getting on the H8 to the Metro to New York Avenue to walk to the Greyhound station to wait an hour because they ask you to be there an hour beforehand to leave at three o'clock.
I'm excited, slightly tired, and ready to be somewhere besides Washington D.C. I got a chance to do that yesterday when I worked in Kim's yard for six hours, cleaning up leaves and chopping out ivy in her flowerbeds. I worked in silence most of the time. Taking breaks to pee, eat lunch, and drink water.
It was a quiet neighborhood while I was there. I only heard a siren once and enjoyed the grass of her yard the entire time I was there.
This week was trying for me because I was completely ready for Spring break. I realized the week everyone had theirs that I wanted to as well, and actually really could have used it, but I didn't get the option to because I was working. Now, two weeks later, I'm going to have mine, and it seems slightly out of place, because I have attachments to those that are here, and people in virginia, but now I'm attending to some of my other friends, but not even close to all of them.
I realize that this summer I'm going to have a lot of people who are going to miss me. I still haven't gotten to go back to Streetsboro, and since I'm not going to be working at camp this year, there are a lot of people that I'm not going to see. Even those I get to see I'm not going to be able to see them long enough. It's never long enough, when it comes down to it. Everything in life leaves you hanging to some point.
I'm always going to be missing someone, whether it's Zach or Bird from the Boro, or Marita and Emily from Camp, or Bekah and Janelle from EMU, or Anna, Marie and my parents, or my cousins all over this world. It's not just a factor that we never have enough money to get what we want, or things that we want to have or places we want to go or people we want to meet, it's also that we never have enough time. This is so frustrating for me at times because I want to see everyone and spend time with everyone but times will never be like they were before I graduated high school and had time coming out of my ears around the house with Marie and could sneak away for a weekend in Mid-Ohio. There might be a time when I'm a mom and I plan vacations to places to visit family and friends, but we aren't always going to be able to see eachother. If I could build a town with all the people I want to have close to me around me, and they could do that as well, there wouldn't be individual towns--they would all be connected and my town would expand, as it always is--more and more and more.
There will always be people who are more important to me than the money I make and the things that I have.
The point is, though, that we will never feel satisfied about this. Only God can satisfy our yearning for more, and only He can make the echo in the room die. So we don't feel alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment