Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Spring Break


Last Saturday, I helped serve a meal to the homeless with Emily and a group of middle school students from New Jersey. It was kinda cool actually. I wasn't planning on getting really excited about it or actually going, but I decided to, on a whim, and since Emily was making it really easy for me, I decided to go. It was right outside of MetroCenter, in a church, and the meal outreach program's called YSOP, and besides the meals for the homeless, they also have other outreach in the area of DC. The middle schoolers were fun to connect with. I got to the church after almost all the food preparations were made, and  so when Emily asked for some volunteers to help pop popcorn I volunteered with Jacquline, Tyler, and one other girl whose name escapes me. It was fun being myself completely, and enjoying joking around with these guys. I also helped at the entrance, giving name tags to the people who came in for the free meal (although while I was standing there, there wasn't anyone who came in). I talked to Tyler about track and field and marching band, knowing much on both of those subjects. It was really good. Then one of the other girls came over, and she was telling me about how they all only got four hours of sleep, and she asked me, "so are you in eighth or nineth grade?" heh heh. I told her I was in college.
I served salad in the line-up of people serving food. that was fun, because it was, and I realize that I have rather large serving sizes when it comes to vegetables. I can see what's too much with pretty much every other type of food, but with veggies, I never know when to stop. WHich is why I will need to have a very large garden in the future. 
When I sat down to eat, I sat next to this man named Mike, who was rather intellectual for people in DC in general that I have met so far. He had a very biblical perspective as well, with what he was talking about and that was nice to hear. He told me I was very pretty and that my eyes were pretty as well. After eating, I played the piano for a little while, during the time when everyone was cleaning up (somehow I get myself out of these things), and many people were enjoying that. One of the sponsors that I spent some time talking to about how I couldn't decide on a major said that my creative personality may be to blame for that. But the only thing is that I feel like I only exposed part of my personality while I was there. It seems like this happens a lot to me. 
On Sunday, I went to the Martin's house for lunch, and then went to the massivest thrift store in the world. I went to church with them. They gave me a ride--so sweet of them. The service was about Lent, and about reflection and how we need to spend more time intentionally reflecting--like i do when I do devos, or when I blog. We went to their house, which is in Mount Rainier, MD. It's about two miles from where my house is in the city. They threw something together to eat for lunch. The Martins have two kids, Adam, in seventh grade, I think, and Olivia, who I am pretty certain is 8. They were great through most of the meal, and then Olivia had an outburst and later on in the day, Cheryl (the mom) was saying how it had been a hard year, and that she got some counseling and was better for awhile. I'm not sure if that meant that she was adopted or what, but it was interesting to hear and to understand. We went to what they would call Value Village and the Unique Thrift Store, which was about the size of a warehouse, and there was a bizarre in the middle of it. I was on a mission for a large amount of yarn for a very cheap price and I found it. I got a neon green garbage bag full of yarn for $25. And I'm working on my second project. Maybe I'll make some pillows or something. 
Jess and I went to see Young Victoria, and then proceeded to watch the Oscars afterward. It was great, except at the very beginning when we were fighting with the antenna to get the best reception which was ironically out the open window. 
On Tuesday, I worked with Mr. Abdullah again. I made him some graphs of progress about the students and their Oral Reading Fluency and Nonsense Word Fluency. I graded some spelling tests, and helped students proofread their work. I also just helped with questions and things. Mr. Abdullah said that I was doing a really good job with helping them answer their questions without answering the actual questions. It was really challenging for me because some of the questions I tried to explain it one way, and they wouldn't get it, so I would have to explain it another way. I was walking up 12th street to get back to the metro to go home, and I walked past some boys who were probably in high school. I had my coat off because it was a nice day, and had the book that I was reading on top of it, and one of them made the comment, "I've read that book." I asked him what it was about. (that's me being smart with him. I don't want to take his crap. most of the time I have to shrug it off, but sometimes I just want to relate to them because they are people too, and it's hard because they are hitting on me. I told him I had a boyfriend. and he said, "well, friends can call friends," and I just shook my head and kept walking. I was exhausted when I got home, but somehow had enough energy to play volleyball. It may have been because there was warmth in the air and we played with some new people. Corrie and I went grocery shopping, and got a whole bunch of produce and a bunch of bags of beans, and all these things that we wanted for us because we were the only ones in the house, and somehow only spent $115... Food is so much more expensive here than it is in Wauseon or Streetsboro. It makes sense, because there is a higher demand, there is a higher price, but it's still frustrating for your Mennonite shopper.
On Wednesday, I made granola in the kitchen with two other people cooking two different things. Lindsay was making a squash casserole and David and Ben, who were visiting DC cand staying in Fetsum's room while he was at home for break were making pancakes. It was hilarious, because I could tell by the first two 'pancakes' made that they hadn't made them in a long time. They were "scrambled". So I was giving little clues along the way, all the while, mixing together a beasting granola recipe. I felt better then, and I had a lot of energy. It was such a nice day on Wednesday. The sun was out and the weather was great. We opened a whole bunch of windows, only to close them after awhile. There was a lot of noise if we left them open--just cars passing all the time.
Thursday, I talked to Jeweli on Skype until I had no more time to get ready before I had to leave for work. Then I rode the Metro to Garrison, and got to hang out with the kids all day. I helped them comprehend directions, and I graded assignments, and gave lots of hugs. 
On Friday, I went to school with Colman. He talked more about animal rights. The kids pay attention in his first period class, they just don't really respond as much as ideally would. But it is understandable--7:25 is pretty early to start a day. 
Tango lessons. Interesting. I can't wait to teach you. :P 
On Saturday morning, Lindsay and I decided to go do this service project with the church that she has been attending. At first we were going to work together, and then decided to separate, since I realized that I was not mentally prepared to work in an ER, even if it was to give refreshments to the families that were there. The last time I was in an ER, Dad had a stroke, and that was traumatizing. 
So instead, I went with a group of women to the Youth Services Center, which is your basic  rehab center for people under eighteen convicted of violent crimes. THe planned activity that we did was a "Dance Off". There were seven girls there, and they were so sweet and were so beautiful. They separated the girls and the volunteers into two groups. I was with two other volunteers and two girls. And it was so fun. I learned some new hip hop movies and laughed a lot and saw how much those girls loved some of the songs that China (one of the ladies in charge) brought for the reflection time. I could see how God was working in their lives and saw how they wanted more than anything to go home and learn from their experiences. I told China I wanted to be more involved, and when she went again to call me and bring me along. 
I got a ride home with one of the women that was there working with us. She was very kind.
Lindsay and I went to the movies again. Al, this guy from volleyball gave us some free tickets, drinks, and popcorn again, and we went and saw "The Hurt Locker". It was a movie about Iraq and bomb techies. It was hard to watch because I know that a lot of the pain and sorrow that was shown in the movie wouldn't be happening if Americans hadn't gone into iraq. This movie won Best Picture, and best Director (which was the first woman to win the award). After the movie, I swallowed and realized that I was starting to get a sore throat. 

This morning I woke up and was sore all over and realized that I didn't want to go to church like this, and so I called the Martins, who were going to give me a ride and told them. Jess got a ride instead. 

I cleaned the kitchen this morning, and made the Amish Friendship Bread that has been sitting around the house for the past ten days, waiting to ferment and rise to satisfaction.
I was in the kitchen working on it when Jasmine and Jess were also, making lunch, so I participated in lunch with them, and afterward, when Jess gave me some staples to finish making my recycled journals/notebooks, I was talking to her, and she asked me how I was doing. 

Jasmine, who has dealt with depression earlier in the semester, when I was just telling her about my week and how it was really challenging because there weren't many people in the house, and she said to spend more time with people because seclusion isn't good for people who have depressive tendencies. So I'm working on being out of my room more. I got to Skype with my friend Bekah, which made things a bit more positive. 

Many people have told me I am and could definitely be a city girl, because my drive for variety and just the attitude I have with my personality make it easy for me to fit in. I don't know if it's something that I might do in the future--spending time in NYC after this will make it clear in either direction, I hope. 

I recently finished the book "Run Baby Run" by Nicky Cruz, and it was a challenging book. It was the story of Nicky's life, and how he went from being the roughest gang leade in NYC in the 50s to being a pastor, and doing work in the city in youth centers. It was also inspiring. I thought it was going to scare the heck out of me, but it informed me of the lifestyle that caused deterioration to many, just depending on what neighborhoods that they lived in. Here's the link to his website. It's crazy putting a face to a story I've heard of and read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment