Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Week Update.

I'm in Harrisburg right now. I'm spending time with the Epps for part of my spring break. It's pretty chaotic right now because there are two 3 year olds, two four year olds, one five and a half year old and a Lydia in the Littles group besides Chris and Katie. They have JaySean, Quinten, and Dakota, three brothers of mass insanity, especially mixed with Abby and Gabe. I've been here since Friday evening, when I rode the Greyhound bus from DC (after waiting in the line to get my Will Call ticket (it's supposed to be easy, fast, and quick, but that's what happens when you only have one person at the desk at three o clock in the afternoon....)) to Harrisburg. I got there around six thirty (there was traffic) and then Chris and Abby came to pick me up. I can see how riding with someone who you know could make it a lot better of a trip. Riding the Greyhound made me think of the trip to Florida that the Marching Band did my junior year, and how long that was, and several other things... I don't remember telling you about that. Ask me about it later.
So my break has been interesting so far. The lady who sat next to me on the second half of the bus ride to Harrisburg 's perfume wasn't that bad, although it was really strong. Friday night was pretty relaxing after all of the children were in bed. I got a chance to knit and watch TV, not my normal past time. I had to throw Katie through a loop when I told her that I had gone vegetarian (I decided not to bring down the house and say vegan because she wouldn't know what to do with that) and she told me that all of their leftovers had meat in them, so I had beans, tortillas and lots of veggies (for lunch and supper at various points) and some yummy oatmeal (for breakfast). There were a couple times that I couldn't escape the dairy products. . . Those pesky Cows get into everything... Whenever I visit the Epps I always drink coffee and pop 100% more than I do when I'm in DC. I've been caffeinated the past few days, which has put a boost to the amount of energy and water that I have, and also the mood that I'm in.. On Saturday there was am Easter Party at the preschool that all the Epplings go to, got to help with the kids and have a good time. They served us lunch, and there was some fresh fruit that I tore into. :) 
I "gave up" sweets for Lent, which didn't actually quit absolutely, but I made a dent in the amount of it that I ate--a lot less of everything. No ice cream. I was thinking of that because I tend to accept chocolate when it is offered to me.
We brought the boys to their mom's house--they were having a three hour visitation with her. It was during naptime, but they didn't take naps so they were in horrible moods for the rest of the day. At this point, the boys are going to be going home or to a new foster home in a month and a half--these kids have added a lot of stress to the house. We went to Lowe's and Target and it was a rough evening because Chris was leading a young adult retreat and so there was a lot of chaos.
Sunday was better, but we were all really tired. Church was really good--the service was about the resurrection. I've been reading some delicious scripture lately. I love love love the Gospel of John :) He was such a great writer.
I've been knitting like crazy still.
Last week, before Spring break started, I worked. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I went to Bethesda and Wilson High school. 
We've been talking about catcalling and watched this documentary called "War Zone" which this woman made about men harassing women. I would definitely say that there were several things that weren't necessary, but there were definitely things that were. There were several situations that were disturbing and slightly inappropriate for the audience, in my opinion, and something that people did not want to see that early in the morning. But there was also the audio of a woman who called the police in her home because a man was trying to get in to rape her, and I think that made everything in the video more relevant. The basic plot of the documentary was of a woman walking around the streets of NYC in the summer and interviewing any man that hit on her or said something to her, or even those who didn't do anything. And then she also had other women walk around on the streets to see if they would be hit on and what their reactions were.
They were also talking about the School of Americas--Colman showed a similar video to the one that we watched for class. It just reiterated that a lot of people aren't aware of these things, as there were many students that didn't know what SOA stood for. At Wilson high school, there was a transition to talking about peace and war issues. There is this graduate student that is getting his masters in Conflict Resolution and was in the Marines and talked about his time in the army. It was hard to listen to because he was pro-army, and I am not. And I hate it when Colman asks questions like "Do you think the rabbi Jesus would join the army?" and this guy made this answer that Jesus' disciples were Zealots--rebels of the age. What he didn't say (that I freaking wish he did, and wish he wasn't so pro war because there's good in knocking down people's doors and shooting guns at the bad guys, and killing people) was that when Jesus was getting arrested, and one of the disciples, in his freaked-out state, cut off the ear of a servant there, and then Jesus said that they weren't there to rebel or fight back or something, and put the man's ear back on. That's what frustrated me. that we, in little conversations like that, can give skewed perspective of Christ in class. AHHHHH. 
Tuesday was a great tiring day. I helped kids with work, but it was more keeping them on task that was the problem, as it always is--and this was mostly a problem because Mr. Abdullah was doing some testing on individuals in another classroom so there wasn't the authority in the room. There was a little chaos--some of the girls were making "good lists' and "bad lists" and then a boy went in the girls bathroom, and THEN there was poop on the floor in the bathroom and one of the girls stepped in it! not my favorite thing to deal with. That, and trying to explain fractions to a second grader who was NOT focused on that at all. She actually wanted to go to the bathroom, or to the office to call her mom, or get some ice for her chipped tooth, or to change her shoes (ironically, she was the one who stepped in the poop). 
On Wednesday in class, we didn't go anywhere, which was a nice change, and we talked about race. Which was nice to do, and I feel like the readings we did for class were really helpful for me, but the discussion we had for our class were lacking. Sadly. And so I spend the last hour of class sitting on the floor because it was more comfortable than the chair that I was sitting on.. 
Thursday was a great transition day for me. Mr. Abdullah told me not to come to class because he wasn't going to be in class. 
So instead, I told Kim that I was going to do some yardwork for her (she offered it for me earlier in the week and I took up the offer because I wanted to make a little moola.) Anyway, I raked leaves out of flower beds, removed dead branches, and clipped some pesky ivy. For six hours. It was a great tiring day, and my body was definitely was sore the next day. But I got paid, and I enjoyed it. My arms got a little scratched up from all the branches I was rubbing against, but I sustained no injuries.
Friday was an interesting day at Bethesda because we went outside and held up "Honk for Peace" signs on the East-West Highway. That was fun, except it rained second period and the signs tore. But we got a lot of honks, and had a great time evne though it was cold and wet. 
House life has been really good. I've been enjoying the meals that people have been making and we have been able to watch movies together as a house and that has been a lot of fun.
More and more preteens think I should make an album. --Random fact.
Yesterday I swallowed one of the balls on my tongue stud, and had to attempt to keep the bar through my tongue for four hours, and when we went to my gym with the crazy children, Lydia and I went to Walmart and I bought more barbells, because I didn't bring any extra with me. I have spent so much money on those I should get my tongue pierced a second time. just kidding. I wonder if you can do that, though. 
Today I went to McDonald's with Lydia and Katie, because that's where they do their school when Gabe and Abby have preschool. They always come, and today when they came through the doors, one of the cashiers recognized them and already had their order memorized, and only added a soft drink for me. 
I did my devotions (again, the Gospel of John has been AMAZING!!) and then did some knitting again. It was great. We went to pick up Gabe and Abby from preschool and went home, and had lunch. Tonight I'm riding the Greyhound all night to Toledo and then Mom is going to pick me up at the Greyhound in Toledo. And I'm going to be home. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment