Monday, February 15, 2010

Wild, Restless, Romantic?


The title of this blog came from a home video that my sisters and I made when I was in fifth grade. Anna and Marie were reading ten second skits. That one was from "You Remind me of an Ocean." I also wrote a song about that at one point. About a boy I met at the beach. in 2006. What a tangent.
What I'd really like to talk about is this past weekend.
Description wise, I'm at a loss for words. It was a great weekend. The diversity of people in the house made everything a little bit better, although I can't say that I would have said no to a little bit of a mental challenge. It was a LONG weekend. Probably because the weekend started on Thursday, when Lindsay and Andrew left for Harrisonburg.
There was nothing to do. Ironically, all the schools I work in had a "four day weekend" because of President's Day. Christa found a phone outside on the sidewalk, and I nourished it in a bowl of rice, and charged it with my charger (because ironically, it needed the same plug as my own phone). I spent the next day trying to get ahold of someone who would take it away from me. I got ahold of the dad, but they went out of town for the weekend, and so I have yet to give it back to them.
Alli, Praveen, Julien, and a plethera of Bryan, Fets, and Sanj's friends came to party Friday and Saturday night. It was great fun.
Alli and I made brownies and bread together. I made bread twice this weekend. Once the dough didn't rise--the yeast committed suicide, but everyone ate it because it was still rather tasty and slightly sweet because the yeast didn't eat the sugar. The second time, we made Alli's recipe of bread. There was a lot of dough, but it was really good. We still have almost three loaves. Soon to be gone.
I went swimming on Saturday because I didn't know what to do with myself. Corrie and Praveen, Jess and Julien, and Alli and Sanj were all sightseeing, and the "bachelors," though I was invited by Bryan to hang with them all day, they were watching a movie that didn't sound very good (meaning the F word was spoken religiously.)
I went to bed at horribly late hours. 4:00 one time, 2:30... 1:30. It got late and later. It was so easy for the clock to just tick away, while Jess and I, or Alli, Jess, and I, or Alli and I were playing piano and singing loudly in the basement.
At some point this weekend, we lost hot water, and the garbage disposal didn't work. It was a bit chaotic that day. Doug fixed it in the morning.
Valentine's Day was like every other day. Except it was Sunday. Jess and I decided to go to the Community House Church. We got on the bus, got off at the right stop, but then waited on the wrong side of the road for a little too long. A drunk guy was having a conversation with Jess. Then we got on the 92 bus instead of the 90, and rode a little way. The bus got a flat tire, or something, and was just sitting somewhere. The bus driver got out. So Jess and I walked from there. We figured it out, and met some tourists with a map to point us in the right direction. We found Ontario St, and started walking up it, and we ran into some guys trying to get their car out of the snow, so we went to help. I gave some good advice about putting the car in neutral instead of trying to accelerate and burning up their tires. A lady across the street brought about a shovel and they started hacking on the snow under the car. An African American guy who was walking by also came and helped, and then the lady's daughter brought out another shovel and we successfully got the car out of the snow. We were awarded mints by the driver for our help, and we headed on our way.
The church service was very nice, and I see myself coming back to this church. This is the church that Doug attends. He found Jess and I a ride home from church, with Cheryl, Roger, and Olivia. Olivia was eight, very bright, and very rambuncous. totally hilarious. She was acting like a cat, and wrapped her arms around mine so I couldn't get out of the car when we finally got back to the house. I would have pried her fingers off, but I had a cup of flowers in one hand, and a purse in another.
Bryan and I worked on the igloo and got some serious progress done on it. That was how we spent our Valentine's Day. Corrie and Praveen made ravioli for supper. Sanj made cheese stuffed chicken for Alli and his' supper.
We played Taboo as a group, and there was complete insanity. I had some really weird combinations. I had root canal and I was talking about anesthesia and trees. and they got it.
Today I did many productive things like finished reading the book of the week, and finished my blanket. I drank coffee and baked bierrocks. And washed dishes. I worked on the igloo for ten minutes.
The hot water was fixed, and I took a shower.
Exhaustion is overcoming. I avoided being on the computer today.
Ash Wednesday is coming up. This Wednesday. A couple of the girls and I are giving up sweet things, and Emily and I are going to start running together in the afternoons after I'm done with work. Among other things. I know how to make bread. I ate yogurt for breakfast today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment