Thursday, February 11, 2010

Because Honesty is the Best Medicine.

The great thing about blogs is that you can write as much as you want. I'm ready to write as much as I want. Another great thing is that you can look back on how you've changed. I've almost had this blog for a year. There is so much that has changed, although you cannot necessarily tell because I wasn't that consistent. Now I have the time and the means.
Here's the alphabetical description of today's thoughts, followed by interesting events of today, without alphabetical order.
Acronym. Mennonites and their acronyms. I don't get it. No one understands. My sister is working at SWAP this summer through MCC, and I'm participating in GO this summer through EMM, Zach's in Africa with YES. My friends attend EMU. It's almost worse than the Mennonite game.
Basil. An interesting spice, though I prefer oregano. I like to cook, experiment with spices (allspice, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla extract with regular tea = chai tea), and I also like my life to be spicy. Anything but bland.
Counseling. Perhaps it's a career that I should and will pursue. I like connecting with people, though at random points, and I like to help them through their problems, though the most enjoyable part is getting to know them, and what interesting aspects of the world they've experienced, and what means the most for them.
Dough. I'm not mentioning food so much because I'm hungry. For the first time in my life, I have eaten raw bread dough. For some reason, I thought that it couldn't taste good because it wasn't cooked yet. But since I've started baking bread with Jess, and I've seen her eat the dough, I tried it.  It's good--really good. It sort of tastes alive. Not because there's yeast in it, or anything.
Elf. I'm mourning the loss of innocence--We liked Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf. Too bad his humor in Dodgeball, and Semi-Pro, and Talladega Nights made my stomach cringe, and made me feel like comedy wasn't good anymore.
Fiction. It's been so long since I have read a book that the story was a figment of someone's imagination. College takes time away from pleasure reading, but I have also found that when we dwell in the unreal, just as when we dwell in the past, it doesn't benefit us in our futures.
Grass. Why can't everyone have grass in their yards. Being in the city, some people use their front "lawn" space for cool rock designs, or mulch and decorative plants. Plants are supposed to give us oxygen to breathe, not to make our homes stylish.
Hamburgers. Yum. Except when I know that the cow that the hamburger used to be didn't have a comfortable life. And that the hamburger has been processed more than I ever want to know, and traveled too many miles to reach my plate.
Igloos. See below. They are hazardous to unsuspecting ice fishers. AKA Jess.
Justice. What's your definition? How are you working toward justice in this world?
Kline's. The last time I had ice cream there, the air outside was cooler than the ice cream itself. But it was good, and worth it. I love ice cream. I crave it all the time. But I mourn the consumption of it every time.
Lame. When people make fun of their friends behind their backs. When others get ignored. When Grace is hungry so half of the words she writes about are food.
Music. So amazing. Where did it come from? What a joyous sound. What peace it brings and smiles within harmony!
Noodles. Pasta. Food--Again..
Opium. Drugs. I hate seeing people addicted to things that I can't help them out of.
Peace. When I give all that I'm worrying about to God, he gives me Peace. He also gives me new thoughts for a new day, and challenges me to live up to his standards. I inly hope that one of these days I will.
Query. Questioning the Answers. A life lesson that is being learned.
Rest. Take more rest. Go to bed before three in the morning. Learn from my experience.
Sweetener. Someone sent me this amazing package with Splenda in it. I now have knitted an eighth of a blanket and I have had smoothies and chai tea. (there was yarn in the package as well.)
Telephone. Hearing a voice, from Africa. How astounding it would be. Also speaking to a friend from long ago. Yay for connections and smiles and awesomeness.
Utopia. Can there be such a thing? Can we find it in intentional communities, or in sweet melodies, or in jungle canopies?
Valence Electrons. Where the connections began, long long ago. :)
Willing. Willing to Dance. Willing to Run. Willing to Break it Down. Willing to GO!
X. O. X. O. A way to send the love through the mail. At the same time, the most heart wrenching way to tell someone you love them. Far away. And having to say goodbye.
Yellow. And it was all yellow. Relaxation can be found in the words of Coldplay.
Zach. Enough said.

Jess and I made bread. With a recipe that Alli gave us. It was supposed to have three more cups of flour than it did, and less one egg and one banana. We let it rise one extra time. It still tasted really good.
I went to CVS and bought sour candy and a chocolate bar to send to Africa today. I located a box that I can send the package in, and took the lone pink fuzzy sock that I accidently brought to DC with me, and stuck the 8oz Mountain Dew into that sock, and made it cozy. Then I stuck it in the box, with the candy and the chocolate. I filled out a customs label online. I filled it out. I printed it out. The real life custom label is beyond confusing.
I decided to make an igloo. We started a little late for the snow to be sticky. Jess and I made soup before we started on the igloo, which is why the day became so late. We also played music all day. I learned a new song called the Story. To make the igloo I had to dig a table and a lounge chair out of the snow. And clear a nice area for the floor. We didn't get anywhere close to being finished. Jess walked around the outside, shoveling snow up to make the walls higher, and stepped into the pond, which wasn't as frozen as expected.
"Ew! I smell like fish guts!"
Then she walked on the wheelchair ramp rail back to the door, rather than walking through the "white, thick mud."

No comments:

Post a Comment