Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Learning from what I see. And think.


:
--Seize the day.
--Never be satisfied with my relationship with God. I want more!
--Play the piano more, but not to show off.
--Be a friend and a listener to those who I wouldn't normally spend time with.
--Exercise for mental and emotional health. Eat for economic and world health.
--Write letters with Love, without obligation.
--Keep promises. Think slowly.
--Write down things I need to remember. Pay attention.
--Be true to my own heart. Follow it!
--Make art with a piece of mind. 

These things are reminders that I can make a difference in the world, just by what I eat. Just by listening, or talking to people I don't really know. If I listen to my heart and make sure that I think slowly, I can make good decisions that are well thought out. 

Today classes were cancelled because there was snow. It was nothing like in Ohio. In fact, I wouldn't think twice about snow canceling school if I was in Ohio, but here in D.C., where people depend on public transportation to bring students to school, there is the issue of emergency snow routes. Busses take different routes when there is a lot of snow, and so students couldn't be picked up. In Ohio, the plow trucks work their butts off in the early hours so we could have the privilege of driving--very carefully of course, because plow trucks aren't perfect-- to school. So so sweet of them..

I didn't do a lot. I putzed around all morning. I finished a hat that I was working on. There wasn't much to do this morning. But then we had seminar, I started a scarf right before seminar. I wasn't sure that I was going to have enough yarn, but somehow I did, when I finished my project about twenty minutes ago. I'm really excited about this hat because it has ear flaps!! :) 

During seminar, we went to the Mount Pleasant neighborhood and met Brett Williams, an anthropologist and professor of American University, and she had a discussion with our group about her book, Upscaling Downtown. It was an interesting book, although many of the house did not find any of it relevant (a lot also feel like reading for cross culturals is silly and that these assignments are overrated. I don't have a problem with the assignments, but only because they are making the aspect of living in the city more relevant and understandable. I think it's great to know the background of what other people have been through in an area and how the area has changed. In DC, it's often focused on how they neighborhoods have changed, in the idea of people moving in and out, how housing changed, and just the atmosphere of things. It's making my experience better and I'm looking forward to using my Urban Anthropology skills in the near future.) until we actually met Brett and heard her story and about why she wanted to write the book. 

We went for a walk around the neighborhood after that. It was a good view, there were many different things to notice. Children's toys in the yard, the old phone boxes on the end of the streets converted to miniature art exhibits, and there was also an interesting wigwam skeleton on someone's porch. We walked through an alley--the one that Brett mapped in the book, and she pointed out a house that was straight in front of us. "That's where George Stark lived" (some guy who played for the RedSkins. 
The last thing that we did before leaving to go back to the house was go into a bakery, where Doug treated us to some desserts (which we saved for after supper). I wasn't too gungho about the whole ordeal, I was kind of tired, and not in the mood for shopping for cake, but when we had to have partners to pick out what we wanted to get, I was Jess' partner, and recommended the German chocolate cake. 

We had Italian sausage for supper. I had a Boca burger, which was delicious. I watched "Reign in Me" in spanish with English subtitles. I wish I could understand more, but at this point, I'm not there yet. One of these days I will. Someone should buy me Rosetta Stone in Espanol. I would totally use it in real life--I'm going to Flushing, New York this summer!

My tongue is still sore from something--I may have gotten a cold of some sort. Or celery makes my tongue hurt. I don't know. It isn't that bad though. I only notice when I'm swallowing.  Yesterday at volleyball in our second to last game, I jammed my pinkie really bad. It's healing fine, but it had some aching feelings when I was knitting and when I'm texting. And I also think about it. But don't worry. I'm not playing volleyball tomorrow because I'm heading to Harrisonburg for the weekend. I'm no longer a rookie to the Honors Weekend festivities. I'm going to present my Taking Out the Trash project. Its going to be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment