Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Awesome New Exciting Perfect YEEEEEAAAA!

Can you tell I'm excited? It seems like everything is coming together, and I forget how wonderful it feels to reach this point.
I went to Garrison today to meet Hassan Abdulluah, and I also got to see his class. I forgot how small second graders are. But at the same time, it's what I want to do! Yay for meeting second graders and loving it. Hassan introduced me to the class, said "This is Grace Engle. She is in college, like where all of you will be someday," and then he asked them, "Do you have any questions?"
Five or six of the twenty six he has in his class (!) raised their hands, and I pointed to each of them.
"Thank you for coming to help in our class!"
"We love that you are coming."
"Thank you, Ms. Engle!"
None of them asked questions. But it made me smile.
In my excited state, I decided to walk part of the way home, figuring that the directions were pretty self explanatory (S St to Rhode Island to 10th.) but I got confused (these things happen when in the city) and I ended up on the H8 bus and got dropped off at home.
I found the volunteer application online and started filling it out, and I plan to get my fingers printed on Thursday. I'm just really pumped about working at this school.
Then I ate some Shepherd's Pie (yes, it did taste better the second day. And I was also very hungry.), and conversed with Bryan about the word "torrid" and it's use in connection with the Washington Capitals (which is a ice hockey team, by the way).
I got the mail a little later, and continued my afternoon of awesomeness. I got a letter, but from someone in Maryland, and my address was handwritten so I knew it wasn't junkmail. I soon realized what it was.
Last Friday evening, on my way to Takoma Park and Contra Dancing, I got the mail, and received a belated, but relevant letter from my aunt for graduating from high school (wow, it seems so long ago.). But I misplaced/forgot it at Contra Dancing, and I was certain I would never see it again. But this letter from Maryland was it! And the woman who sent it back to me,  Jennie,  left her phone number and I called her and expressed much thanks for the kindness. I had prayed about it, and then left in God's hands, because I knew that if I was going to get it back, that someone would mail it to me, and I stopped worrying about it. I was rather thankful for that.
Jennie congratulated me for my graduation... haha.
I then got onto Gmail, and was looking through my emails, and I saw something from Sherrie, who works for EMM, and has been contacting me about doing a short-term mission somewhere. I had thought about doing YES, but it seemed like it would be a bad time for family circumstances, so I had to tell her no, which was difficult, because I really wanted to be a part of the program after Zach was. But then she sent me this email about a summer opportunity, in New York City. Some of the things that I could be a part of--an After School Program and Summer Academy, an English as a Second Language Teacher (though I'm not really qualified for that), and secondary options like--get this-- Homeless Shelter Outreach (!), Soccer Outreach (! :D), Worship Team (singer or musicians) (:D:D:D!!!!). It's perfect for me! I emailed Sherri back and told her that this felt like it was right. It wasn't just one aspect that I liked. But it was in the city, with kids, with school with homeless shelters, with soccer, with Worship Team and Singing! God is giving this option to me and I am so excited.
Person I met today: Jenna Levine, who sent me my card from Aunt Karis.

No comments:

Post a Comment