Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The "Youngsters"--a group up and coming!

This day started out a bit better. Lindsay, still adjusting to the gas stove (I guess she's never used one before this), made scrambled eggs for everyone for breakfast (although I was rejoicing the return of Old fashioned rolled oats and natural peanut butter into my life, and had peanut butter and banana in oatmeal, and a cup of milk for breakfast.) We started on the first class of the day right away, and it was sort of hilarious how no one wanted to walk all the way downstairs... but when we got there, Emily was teaching, and we did group life stuff (a lot more exciting than the explaining of the handbook, which followed). We separated into groups of two or three, and acted out some scenarios of issues that had happened in the house in the past. It was hilarious--my group was Jess, Fets (Fetsum), and myself, and Fets had just woken up right as we started, and was in his pajamas. The first scene we had to act out was someone forgetting to do their chore for the week, and his first line was delivered with such a lack of the attitude needed that it caught me off guard, it was hilarious. Other issues that our group went over were coming in late and loud, having annoying habits, and having prayer before we eat. It was so fun. We did a tour of all our rooms (for Emily's benefit), and then we did a house scavenger hunt, which was informing in a rather thorough, but quick way. After that was the monotonous handbook, although I enjoyed reading it, going over the information was repetitive..
We had a sandwich lunch, and then we headed out for our neighborhood scavenger hunt. My fellow hunter was Lindsay, and we got to discuss a lot--she asked me questions, and within my answers, I tended to elaborate a lot. We explored the area behind our house in our neighborhood--there's a friary and the Providence Hospital is back there--and we went to a Diner on 12th Street to see what they served for breakfast. We found out that the average house was (or could be) close to $500,000. We stopped at the Rec Center for a look around, and then we headed toward the Fransiscan Monastery to end our trip. We arrived, looked throught the gift shop, and I got kind of excited about the tour--there were catacombs, and the monastery is modeled after the Hagia Sophia! Then Lindsay and I realized that we forgot to visit one thing--the Icon Shop. I had no idea what kind of "icons" we'd be seeing, but as we walked down the two blocks to get there, it was pretty obvious that it was probably going to have something to do with Catholics. That's the kind of icons that were there--the pictures of Early Christian paintings of saints for Catholics to pray to. They pray to certain saints for certain things, and certain prayers for certain things. (One of the things I dislike about Catholics, that they pray to saints, but they are people too, and I accept that over what they pray for) Anyway, we went back to the Monastery, and started the tour. It was long and we were tired, but it was still heavily and beautifully decorated. We got to go through the entire monastery, which was a replica of a church in Jerusalem. Even the catacombs are a replica, and the stone wall was definitely a wallpaper of a sort. But there were still statues, and awesome mosaics, and sculptures, and domes (like Hagia Sophia). There were bones of two people there. Saint Innocent, who was a child that was martyred in the Early Christian time, and also some of the bones (his skull, for some reason, is in Rome) of another Dude with a very interesting name which I do not know. It was great when we got to walk back to the house together, and then start to relax again. We told Stories of Self--I told the story of how I wrote a song to introduce Ryan at the beginning of the year for Honors, then got my tongue pierced, and preformed it anyway. I talked about how I still thought it went well, but then how later in the semester some of the other Honors students told me that they couldn't understand anything I was singing. I was really glad that Jess shared why she was so into preventing EMU from investing in things that supported the war in Israel.
We had some amazing taco salad for supper, and then Lindsay decided that the entire house should got to the Rec Center to play volleyball. I was all for it, but I couldn't find the form that proved my residence in DC (which gets you free admission, because insurance covers it). I didn't ever find, it but still went along to play, and they didn't end up asking for it anyway.
When we got to the courts, there were already people playing. We came in, and Fets just started playing--he rotated into one of the teams already on the courts. We came in as the rest of the group slightly after him, and Tanya, a teammate from one of the two teams playing, came up to us, and asked us if we were going to play, and told us that it was an 18 and older playing game, but that since we came, we'd be allowed to play. I'm the only one in our group that is under 20, so they weren't sure how to take that. Our first two games were rough. We lost both pretty quickly, and so Lindsay called for a "practice". We volleyed in a circle, and practiced calling for the ball. Soon, we were getting confident and better, and when we started our second round of games, we had a lot more confidence, and though some funny things happened (like me hitting the ball backwards, under the net), we did score some points and get some good volleys going. After that we started getting involved in between our games, and I was a line judge. We continued playing until nine. By then, we were dubbed "the Youngsters" and we'd won some games. Andrew had been yelled at to be aggressive by the lady keeping score, and she almost hit him (jokingly) because he wasn't quite being aggressive enough. It was pretty hilarious. There was some good funny stuff. It was so fun, and we are planning on going back as a group on Thursday as well.
When we got back, Jess and I randomly decided to jam a little bit, and make sure that we play more and sing more. She's great harmony.
I'm excited about what's ahead, though a little nervous for my internship. In honesty, I'm kind of worried that I'm going to have to worry about money. Ugh. I hate that.
We assign jobs tomorrow! I'm looking forward to possibly shopping, and I think I want to have the two jobs of being the Blog Keeper and the Photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment