Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ready, Set....(Almost time for Internships!!)

We had our last day of orientation today. Tomorrow internships start, and the traveling solo begins yet again. Lucky for me, I only have to go to one of the two schools I'll be working at tomorrow, and of these, the one that is later in the day. Then I will return back to the house and probably chill, as everyone's internships are scattered throughout the day, and we don't quite have a handle on how it's all going to work.
Today we talked about internships and assigned jobs for around the house. It was kind of difficult to find relevance in the information that Kim said about the internships--like overdressing the first day, asking to have weekly meetings with our supervisor, and even the first project that we have to do for our internships--a poster with out expectations within the internships, and also our personal goals. There was a poster on the wall behind us from someone who interned at Wooly Mammoth Theater, but my internship is so different from theirs that I'm not sure how much information I can take from my internship. As far as I know, with my own internship, I am going to be working in schools. And I'm going to be participating in discussion. and I guess I'll be learning of more roles after that. But it's still hard for me to be able to do the exact same poster type thing as everyone else.
So then we decided on the house jobs. The Nelson Good house (which is what this house is called), is a group home like an intentional community. So everyone has roles and committees so that we can keep the house from falling apart. There are Drivers, Shoppers, Watchmen, Postal Person, Maintenance, and so many other things!
One job that I was assigned for was to be the Kitchen Manager, which makes the list for groceries (and we get to go shopping for things that we need in the kitchen this semester). I'm also the Blog Writer for the group--keeping those connections with EMU, and also the Photographer. Just because I'm keeping the connections to EMU, I get to plan the Chapel that's in February.
Then we had Martie Langelman as our guest speaker after lunch. We had a reading from "Back Off", a book that she wrote about sexual harassment.  It was enduring for the guys during the seminar, as she used them as props/ "muggers/rapists" examples, but we all got a kick out of it, and I think we all learned a lot. She told some VERY lively stories, and we could all tell that she had lived in the city all her life.
Because the oven was broken, we had to switch the menu around and we grilled for supper.
I ate vegetarian again. I just decided to do that because there are already two vegetarians in the house, and I figured that if we had a third of the people in the house to be vegetarian then it would be reasonable to have myself be a vegetarian. So now I'm working on seeing if this is something that I can do or not. I think I can. But I'll probably eat meat if we go to a ethnic restaurant.
This evening we had a great meal. Then we just hung out. We watched the Pilot episode of Arrested Development.
I got to talk to Anna before she left for Guatemala.
Going to bed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment