Friday, January 22, 2010

(Sigh) oh life.

So I was certain today would hold no excitement, and that it would be pointless to blog about.
Fail.
I mean, YAY. You get to read something. But the point of the story is, I knew that if I went somewhere there would be a story to tell. I just didn't expect it this way. I never do. It's totally unexpected and I almost never see it coming.
This time I sort of did, though.
I spent my morning being assertive, a good kid, a bump on a log. I wrote a letter to Zach, and then I spent a good portion on Facebook. Which brought on a blog. Or two. Today is the day of blogging.
I decided about three o'clock that I was going to walk to the Glut Food Co-op.
It was about two miles away from the house, and I figured that would be a great walk for me. I had been sitting around the house blogging.
So I walked the 24 blocks to the natural food store! There were some middle school boys that said something like:
"So you like walking? That's cool. How old are you?"
I only answered the first question. Yes, I like walking.
I got to the store and started writing down prices for bulk food that I figured we might use for something at any point in our house. I must have been there for an hour or something. I started to feel a little weird, and realized I should probably eat something soon. There were three sections of the store, one with bulk food and produce, one with spices and a place to make organic peanut butter, and in the third part of the store was mostly packaged healthy food, with a bit of bulk pasta.
I was walking back through the store to the bulk and produce section when someone who worked there was walking through and asked me if I was finding everything fine. I said I was, and continued on my way, writing down things to consider.
Then a shot time later, I was by the leafy produce, calling Andrew to see if they bought the kale yet, and the same guy was looking through the ready-made organic options fridge for something to eat. He was talking outloud--
"I want something substantial, but all I see is the chickpea salad."
I caught on at this point. He can't decide to speak to me directly. I pointed out the "power sandwich."
"That sounds good, but I love rye bread. Gotta go with the rye bread."
Which led to a brief conversation about bread. And he asked me what I was writing down.
I said I was trying to convert my group house to eating bulk food. He asked where I was in DC, and it turns out that he lives in Brookland too. He then figured out that I was a Mennonite, because he asked if I was from the Mennonite house on Taylor.
But he was making a lot of eye contact.
Then I legitimately had a question.
"Does the milk you sell here make cheese?"
And then he recommended a yahoo group that sells raw milk for Pet purposes, or legality reasons. And it's $7.00 a gallon, but it's raw milk nonetheless. Made me happy.
Then he pointed out the cheese section. And I was needing some legitimate mozzarella, so I bought some. But from his register. . . (mistake? I don't think so. I'm connecting with people in the community.)
Thus, after I bought it, he said,
"You should check out my house."
and then, woe is me, being polite-- "ok. What's your name?"
"Mike, Mike Turner. We should go bike riding sometime" Then he proceeded to take a business card, write his name, address, and then scribbled his phone number on it too. "What's your name?"
"Grace."
Then I left, and speed walked home because it was starting to get darker outside, and I was fighting these thoughts in my head. Why is it always me who gets hit on? I never hear about it from any of the other girls. Marie is the most beautiful person in the world and she's never been hit on in her life!
It's my sob story. Why should I complain about being good looking or having a personality that other people like? Because I hate having to follow up the conversation with "Yeah, and my boyfriend"
because it's awkward.
But life is full of awkwardness that can easily be overcome.
And thus I welcome awkwardness. But with boundaries.
In all honesty, I wish that this didn't happen that I could just be friends with everyone I meet and not have to worry about people who are like that.
oh well.
men.

Volleyball was fun, though frustrating--my team wasn't quite cohesive as much as I would have liked We had some awesome plays though. It was interesting to learn about Tammy, who teaches sign language to people around the area, and learn the names of some of the younger people--Smoot and D, not your typical names. They are cool guys, though they hard to understand, and I trash talk a bit with them. That's your typical Grace, though. I get way into it.

I got to help Aleks with math today. That was a nice refresher, and I keep remembering how much I enjoy math, and also my rather obscure ways of solving all the problems.

Jess and Jas made Chocolate Secret Cake (it had beets in it) and it was delicious--reminds me of the Chocolate Zucchini Cake that Anna loves to have on her birthday. But Jess was eating it--she declared that if anything delicious is sitting in front of her, she'll just eat it and keep eating. So I moved the cate out of range, but not after a Chocolate Baby was conceived... then some self defense moves were taken out on the table.. but all was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment