Thursday, July 03, 2014

To Pump or ... What!

I had high hopes that breastfeeding would go better. We are breastfeeding, by the way; but Yonah doesn't routinely empty the breast. He sleeps at the breast, roots at the breast, latches onto the breast, chews the nipple, and falls asleep at the breast. So we are supplementing. With pumped milk and a little homemade (WAPF) formula. But I want it to work!! I want it to work so bad! The only reason this is successful right now is because Naisa is in Ohio. Once she returns and I am on full time mommy duty, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It is going to be hard to pump when she needs my attention, let alone when he and she need my attention.

Ben is convinced that when his mouth gets bigger it will be able to better accommodation my large nipples: I think this too, but I wonder how many months of lazy breast feeding I will have to deal with before this happens, and how many months after his that I will have to deal with a still-lazy nurser. 

So I'm pumping: and I wish he could get it out on his own! The lactation consultant we saw said there was a fifty percent chance his tongue tie would affect it, that he had a good suck, a good range of motion, just that he had a tight jaw and a small mouth. Two things not in my favor.

I am trying to be patient, but I had hoped to be through the breastfeeding transition by two weeks, especially because Naisa will be home on Thursday and I wanted to have a better hang of it before she came home.

He's gaining weight well, more than most babies his age. Most are still working to return to birth weight. He was four oz over birth weight at a little over one week. I just wish he would breastfeed. This is the same battle I had with Naisa, except she tore up my nipples and wrecked havoc on my milk supply before we switched. this time we are catching the milk supply before it drops too much (I wish is started pumping sooner though!

No comments:

Post a Comment