Friday, December 17, 2010

I have a home (a home!)

This past semester has been epic.
Now I'm trying to imagine any part of my life not having significant moments in it, and since God isn't the boring type, I doubt there will be. Although not everyone will find it reading worthy, my life has had some significant adjustments since that August 31st starting gun was shot.
This shindig started with a declaration of social work: a promise to fight for justice, get riled up, sing and yell loudly, and throw pillows in digust at the world. This also brought about discussions of feminism, desire for change, and love for people who truly deserve to love others just like I do.
The party continued to thrive as I adjusted to living "off" campus, and in Maplewood, bonding with people who truly supported me. I ate lunch outside with Mila until it was too cold to do so, and we moved into Common Grounds (my third home). As relationships were stripped of pedestals and revealed their true colors from across the country, I submerged myself into an ocean of love: true supportive women and men who could listen to my cries of despair, of humiliation, of discouragement, and fill me with joy and laughter, help me pick myself up off of the carpetted floor, and encouraged me to write music.
Despair was changed to hope and passion for life as my feet tredded many miles in the right direction. With goals to reach, I left behind ideals of old and pursued local friendships, food, homes, justices. I sang music for residents at VMRC. I ate local, dumpster dived, and home made food on the floor of Maplewood lounge. I immersed myself with Walking Disciples ladies, Feminism, Take Back the Night, running, inner beauty, conversations that scared me, knitting, coffee, and music. I quit things that tired me, and started things that energized me. I let myself become intrigued by people, different perspectives, and now buds a different sort of relationship, again, though with several grains of salt added to the mix (as knowledge from previous experience comes to show). I got to skip happily across those darned  generation lines as I spent more and more time with my grandparents, inviting my people to come visit for dinner, to spend the night, or to have tea.
As the finals finished, the errands run, the last note on the piano was played, and a game of Twister was began, I knew of the validity of the relationships sprouted and bloomed. I have been surrounded by a BEAUTIFUL garden of flower friends at EMU. I have fallen in love with the people, the environment, the lifestyle, and community. I have a home.

1 comment: