Saturday, August 29, 2009

Orientation Day One


I moved in today. It was great. I didn't carry one thing up to my room. Kayla and Paul and Sarah and Esther and Anna and Mom and Grandma and Grandpa all did that whilst I was waiting to get my room key. It was amazing.
My mother has been having more fun than I have. She took a nap on my bed between sessions. 
I've met so many random people, it's been great. What's better though, is the connections that I actually have with these people. There are two people that I went to elementary school with that are attending EMU. One's name is also Grace, and is in my hall, and we got to start getting to know each other again since the last time I actually saw her was probably fifth grade. We had the same teacher for third grade. But she looks the same, and she says I look the same. It's been refreshing to meet someone easy going. Not that everyone her isn't easy going. Another time, we sat down at lunch with my "cyber-stalker" aka the girl that is introducing me for our honors class. I had no idea that it was her.
Then it's just been fun seeing people that I sort of know. I met a lot of people during Honors weekend that have ended up here, and more! I'm excited to meet all of the people I haven't yet!
This evening I went to Common Grounds and spent time with girls I didn't know playing games that had no point, but it was amazing. It was just great fellowship (and a freaking awesome frappiccino) and after playing the games, I talked with several different girls--Allie and Britney and it was good fun. Now there's more familiar faces even though I don't know their names yet. But there's a grace period for that as well.
Everyone here is so inviting and kind and wonderful, except for one girl in my transitions class that said that I was loud. (we met in the library and I was noticing how EXTREMELY quiet the building was). But I figure either she'll warm up, or have a reality check that people are of different volumes. 
I got to talk to Phillip Martin about music and classes and pretty much anything. I feel like we could talk for hours. I'm glad we have Ethics and Chem together. He's a great guy.
I also spoke with Ryan Eshelman, after cyber stalking him the past month. Which I feel horrible about because I feel unkind and by far it hasn't been complete reflection of his personality. He's kinder than the contact people described, and completely forgiving of my intrusive nature. I made the awesome surprise for the introduction today, by the way. Yay for quality guys at school! It's just a priviledge to attend a school (aka NOT Streetsboro) that has guys that are mature and respectable. Of course, I knew that that was going to happen.
So this evening, after I left Common Grounds, I made my Favorite call of the day to Zach.
I walked while I talked because Anna brutely reminded me that visiting someone to borrow their straightener while talking on the phone with someone else is completely rude. So I walked around a track that I discovered North of my dorm. For probably close to an hour of the conversation. Great idea. Bad shoes. Why do I always do this? I wore flip flops. And so I figured that they would give me blisters if I walked in them the entire time, so I just took them off and walked barefoot for awhile. But then I realized that my entire foot was going to be blistered. So I walked on the grass while I could and then on the track as little as possible. But I kept it up the entire time. I wasn't out of breath, but I wasn't dwaddling. But my feet are burning a little now..
Zach's a joker. He told me today that he hung out with a girl he used to date which is true. But then he said that she wanted to get back together with him, and he said he would. And in my head, I was freaking out, because he used to talk about that back when we first started dating. But he was joking. And then later I was talking about all the great guys I have been meeting and how he should come visit to meet them, and he was telling me it would be okay for me to date other guys, and I was telling him that, no I did not want to do that, and yes I was sure. And sure enough, joking, again. And last but not least I was telling him the only guys that I would be comfortable going to see in their dorm rooms were Evan, Mike, and Paul, and Zach retorted that by no means should I speak to Evan or Mike, and if I even thought about approaching their dorms (which Mike lives in Northlawn, which is where the cafeteria is) that he would beat the crap out of me. Again joking. But this time I knew. Zach counseled at Camp with both Mike and Evan. So, "bunnybutt", if you are reading this, you are a thick stupid little man sometimes, but I'm still crazy for you. And you make me insane when you joke like that, turd.
My roomie and I are bonding. After having some phone tag and such, we finally met up after the first chapel meeting and then have recently bonded over the fact that she forgot her ID to get into the dorm after ten. So she texted me and I came and saved her.
I took my first shower. We have what used to be a boys floor, so there's two showers and no changing area within the shower. I adjusted right away and really have no problem. We were talking about adding a curtain to the area with the urinal for a changing stall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment