Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bones vs. Glee

This morning I began to analyze my TV intake. Why do I watch the sitcoms I do?
Glee is a musical-esque high school drama/soap opera. Bones is a forensic anthropologist studying the remains of people to figure out who killed them.
I started rationalizing that I watch these television shows for several reasons: This is why I like Glee 1) I love music, especially creative endeavors such as what they do in Glee. The music they do inspires me to write my own music, as well as I feel that the way they perform and make their music original is much more genuine that much music that is performed by artists today. 2) High school: that's a complicated reason. Maybe I watch because I wish that I was part of a successful show choir in high school. But I wasn't, though I was in the most successful musical group in the school: the marching band. So it's like I'm reliving marching band through glee. Yep, with all the drama from high school attached.
Why do I watch Bones: 1) Ben liked this reason, but I like the way they talk. The main character has a way of using big words that I understand and it makes me want to talk intellectual (yes, that's a language). I also like the variety of intellectual characters, as well as the healthy mixture of real life going on in the show at the same time. 2) I like mysteries, and I don't mind the grotesque nature of the corpses. . . I cleaned up the cat lab for Anatomy and Physiology. I can do anything!

I was reflecting on the fact that these two TV shows don't reflect where I am in my life. I am in college, on my way to real life, and in neither field, though at some point I may hold the intellect that would put me in the running for a teaching position at EMU... I realized that all the TV shows that represent the life stage I am currently in are about partying and sex, both of which do not represent the college experience that I have had so far. So then I was thinking if there could ever really be a TV show that represented my college experience and realized that there was nothing better than sitting around the table at the caf laughing and making farting noises, making up handshakes that involved lazy eyes, pulling up our pants like grandmas, crackling our backles, drinking tea and eating chocolate, staying up late, dumpster diving, carrying people around in duffle bags, modeling, singing loudly and passionately in sporatic four-part harmony, giving God the glory. This is not on television. This is real life. This is what I like to experience.






Why I watch these shows? I never watch these TV shows at school. I have work to do, and I have friends to spend time with. And that is the reason I don't watch them at school, and I do watch them at home. Oh how pitiful it sounds, but I watch TV because I miss my friends. If we could be together all the time the world would be different, I wouldn't get so bored.



Thus, I can't wait to spend time with people at EMU again. I miss so many more people than I have pictures for. I can't wait to drink bottomless cups of coffee at Common Grounds, sing loudest and write music with people, to be known deeply by those who surround me. This is what I desire. For now, God will fulfill my needs, and spending time with my family will be fulfilling as well. And I hope to make some close friends here in Wauseon/Archbold/Pettisville. Enough that I don't want to watch Glee and Bones. You can't be best friends with a fictional character.

2 comments:

  1. Why are you so intellectual and I'm not? You write and speak with such words that makes me think your the modern " Anne of green gables" but only the Gracie Version. Ha, im re going thru that series right now, so I'm comparing just about everything to it! lol I have these mini obsessions I go thru. But anyways back to the post. I love your analysis of why you watch certain tv shows and I completely understand your reasons. Even though you really don't need a reason. You watch them because they're entertaining to you and thats that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you stole my favorite shows. and you are are watching them more than me. but that's okay. because i agree with you. other things are more important. and i miss you a million as well.

    ReplyDelete