Sunday, June 06, 2010

Urbanbusy

I have been really busy this week.
We've had meetings everyday about the summer program, and then I've gone to PS 22 to hang out with the kids. One of the days I brought over some of the flyers for the kids. I brought around ten or something, and within talking to two tables, all my flyers were gone, and i hope that these kids are really interested in this program. 
I have felt really welcomed into the school. Lily, who is the parent coordinator of the school, continues to invite me and Christa to hang out and talk with her after lunch is over, and it has been great. I've also gotten a chance to get to know Tracey, who is the security guard for the school. The even more awesome thing is that Lily has gone into the kitchen after the school is done, and found something vegan for me to eat. I'm so thankful for that option. 
There was an intergenerational bible study meeting on Friday that was really great. We separated into smaller groups and then were discussing what Mark talked about, but our group's discussion went from "do you want to receive the holy spirit?" to "Do you want to become a Christian?" and it was a great great discussion, and a couple of the girls said that they wanted to become Christians.
On Saturday, I worked at the food pantry again. Going through the clothes that were set out, I found a pair of shorts that looked like they would fit me, ran off to the bathroom, changed, and then I had a new pair of shorts. This was a blessing because I needed a pair of shorts. 
Later in the day, Christa needed to go to the bank, and I needed to go grocery shopping, but was being lazy about it, so we got proactive and headed over the H Mart. I got everything I needed, which was more than was on my list, and more than Christa predicted I would need money-wise, and we got to the checkout line and I went over by thirty three cents. The cashier, after what seemed like two or three minutes, but must have been shorter than that, she said that it was fine, but that I "owed her" and pointed to her name tag and her aisle number. 
I walked home with all of my groceries, got thirty-three cents, walked back to the H-Mart, gave it to her, introduced myself, and then went on my way. I didn't think I should do it any other way. 
I got to have dinner with a lady from the church at a vegan restaurant called "Happy Buddha." It was so good. I had vegan cheesecake (which I vow to make at some point) and "triple Mushroom Delight" (which was completely delightful). I think there are more people who want to take me there, so I may or may not get to go again and try something different. I can't wait!
I sang on the worship team today. There is a team of people from Texas who come to New York routinely, and they have a prayer station. They were at church, and one of theirs brought the message. 
There was a Street Fair this afternoon (which, to give a comparison to my mother, is very similar if not the same as a Streetsboro Family Days), and they set up the prayer station there. I didn't really feel like there was anything that I was supposed to do at that point--handing out tracts isn't my thing, so I wandered around the fair and then went and sat by the prayer station, and ended up talking to Yusup for the next hour or it seemed, until it started raining and everyone started leaving.
It poured, and kids screamed with joyous laughter. Some people hurried, while I just walked solowly, taking in the increditbility of being wet, and experiencing something like this and being free to experience it. yay for pouring rain.

Prayer requests and praises.
--Praise that I am blessed with so many people and opportunities. Pray that I get enough rest and time by myself with God.
--Pray that God will speak enthusiasm into high schoolers to volunteer for the summer program. Pray against inhibitors and the evil of the human nature.



2 comments:

  1. If you are ever in chicago you must stop bye the Ear Wax Cafe, or in Fort Wayne indiana the Loving Cafe. great vegan food, and they will take good care of you.

    Im glad that you got the casheir her 33 cents, and im glad to hear youve been so intentional about reaching out. Just remember

    people who do "inner city ministry" (aka loving your neighbor) need to intentionally step back every so often and reflect on how God is using them. It can be easy to get consumed by the city. but YOU sis. have the oppertunity to refresh youself in the Lord daily. and to spend time in prayer with him to put things in perspective.

    Don't let the city sweep you away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo w/Angelo is hysterical! :]

    ReplyDelete