Monday, October 27, 2014

And we're in! How things are going so far!

We are in our new space for the next month. It is a one room "efficiency" apartment with the only other room being the bathroom.

When we packed and moved our things into Ben's father's truck and located ValuePlace and got checked in by a kind and energetic host. And when we walked into the original room we were going to rent, it was just room for a bed, tv, half a dresser and a coat rack. It was the size of Ben's CA dorm room in college. So we upgraded to the room with the sofa, because it had more floor space and then I rearranged the room while Ben and his dad were loading up the cart to bring things up.

As they brought things, I went through the boxes and moved all the things I thought we might not need in the next month. Goodbye cornmeal, extra spoons, many books and toys, and a pink ball. There wasn't enough floor space or patience to keep a large garbage bag full of toys.

Naisa and Yonah's beds are stationed next to each other in the corner where the couch previously was. The couch is where the table used to be and the table is in front of the window. All our extra things that didn't need to be out and accessible were shoved under the very high bed frame.

We put the shoes and stroller in the bathroom, because there was more floorspace in there and not in the way.

There is no oven. It would be good to have a toaster oven or a crock pot, but there's no counter space, so I'm using the pressure cooker for things that are needing cooking and the other pans for quick heating.

Naptime and bedtime are going okay so far. I originally wanted to have a tent set up for Naisa to have her own space, but there definitely isn't enough space. Naisa and Yonah's beds are next to each other in the corner where the couch was originally. Naisa plays quietly in her bed for a couple hours, pretending to sleep when I check on her before peering over the edge of the crib and smiling at me. The problem is nap time is pushed very far back. Normally she would nap at two and now she's falling asleep at four. Yonah's napping is whenever and when Naisa is in her bed she stays quiet so I don't have trouble keeping Yonah asleep.

The fun part is doing things in the kitchen portion while the children sleep. I don't like being forced to be quiet but sleep is sacred. But I'm sure they will adjust to the noise as long as I'm not ridiculously noisy.

The first night of sleeping was really hard because Naisa, Ben, and I all went to bed at eleven and then Naisa spent an hour between 2 and 3 coughing intermittently and we were up with that and then Yonah got up at seven, bright and early so we were all tired.

The second night went much better. Everyone was so tired, Yonah slept from ten to six and I almost did also!. :)

Today we went to the grocery store.. I walked to Lifeway to get the car and then we went to Wegmans. Ben's job is now located within a quarter mile of our apartment and when he won't drive to work, he can walk and I'll have the car.

I'm going to post pictures later.


No comments:

Post a Comment