Wednesday, August 06, 2014

I am the Privileged Poor

You certainly would think of me and my family as poor, judging from our bank account, apartment, the things we own, the car we drive, or the food we buy.

But we qualify for WIC and we use it every month. Both of our children are covered by Virginia Medicaid to lower the cost of healthcare. i used pregnancy Medicaid for both pregnancies We don't make enough to cover what we have budgeted for our needs, though we are lucky we haven't needed to spend huge amounts of money on things like health needs-- we have both been incredibly healthy. 

I call us privileged poor because we are poor only because we went to college, and our monthly loan payment equates to more than a third of our income.

 But we are poor because if one thing changed: our car broke down and we had to purchase another, if when we move we have to pay $300 more for rent, if Ben or I has a major health accident, we get very close to the danger zone. Many of the nice things we own were given to us, or purchased at a great deal, or thrift store steals. 

But we are privileged: we have parents who, if in a tough spot, would help cover us, whether it be with housing, or with money. Our support groups are there and they provide a safety net of sorts. 

But we are so blessed! I can stay at home with our beautiful children and save us money on other things.
I cannot complain, nor will I, but there is always the possibility of financial surprise. But we are blessed with a working car, healthy children and seemingly healthy immune systems. 
For these I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment