Thursday, May 31, 2012

Running again. YAY!

So you might think I'm bizarre, but I have been craving running since I haven't had enough time to do so. I've been thinking about it every time Ben and I go for a walk, and how I miss it. I think easily of last summer when Mom and I completed four 5Ks and I was running four miles like it was nothing. Then last fall I had two writing intensive classes and knew I needed to get A's, but still ran a couple times a week. Then I had my internship, and 6 or 7am runs were out of the question once I started getting exhaustion and nausea and found out I was pregnant. I ran once in March (with my sister Marie) and once in April at the EMU track and have missed it so much, but couldn't get back into it.

It was hard mostly because I was gaining weight, and when I'd wake up in the morning (opportune time to exercise), I would be ravenous and walk straight into the kitchen to make breakfast. Well, last night Ben and I attended the small group we are now pretty sure we are going to be a part of. It consists of four couples with children, and a couple of weeks ago, several of the dads did this warrior dash run that they just loved. And people kept talking about sports through out the night and I realized that I missed my sports. (When asked about things I liked to do, I said a couple of things that I liked to do prior to being pregnant: running and playing contact sports, which they thought was hilarious that I would specifically identify that I wanted to play sports with contact. :D)

After the group devotion and discussion was over, we were all down in the yard where the kids were playing and there were two ropes to climb, attached to one of the trees. Ben, after much goading, decided to see if he could climb up the one without the knots without using his legs, and got halfway up before he freaked and ripped the skin off a couple fingers and figured out how to get down. But this goaded me all the more: I wanted to try climbing the rope (the one with the knots).

When we got home I had decided that I was going to go running in the morning and that was that, although with an ounce of doubt in my mind. But when I was awake at 7:20, and not too hungry, I decided I would do it. I walked over to EMU (around half or three quarters of a mile), and ran a mile around the track inside. Then I walked back. And it felt good! and has been feeling good since I've been home.

I love the feeling of soreness after a run. It means I did something. I pushed myself. I love the feeling in my lungs after a run when I kept my heart rate up and need for water and rest and pushing myself just a little further! Plus, this is the best way for me to prepare for this baby's birth. Walking has always felt like it's not quite enough. Running has been my perfect exercise. Ben thinks I should throw in some strength training and I think I will (we have these nice weights, push up platforms, and a pull up bar that someone isn't using presently). I love feeling strong. It's empowering.

What empowers you?

No comments:

Post a Comment