Friday, July 02, 2010

Weekly Update #8

I spent this past week at Camp Deerpark, a Mennonite camp located in Deerpark, New York. It's this beautiful, hilly, green, vast camp that enveloped me in love and affirmation and questions. It relieved stress and caffeinated me. It gave me peanut butter, and lots of vegetables. It gave me new friends, and time to build off of the seeds of starters. It gave me a chance to raft, to swim, to pick peas, to challenge myself, to sing, to wake up way too early and go have devos, and to see God in the beautiful place that is camp.

Sunday started out sort of silly--after waiting at the pick-up spot, in the Bronx for an hour, meanwhile meeting someone who is coming to EMU this fall (how awesome),  we found out the bus had broken down, and a couple parents volunteered to drive some of us to Camp. Along the way, we stopped to pick up the bus driver (and I had to pee so bad I went in the woods at that point), and we got lost, and arrived at camp around nine or ten. More people came later, we had a short campfire, and went to bed. 

On Monday, I woke up--no lie-- at 5:50, and went for a run down the hill. I made it a little bit back up and then I walked the rest. Two cups of (GOOD) coffee and devotions later, we had our group prayer, breakfast, and started the training. Monday felt so long. There was some manual overview and then lunch. After lunch, I took the swimming test, and passed with flying colors. I dove into the pool (no belly flopping or fails (yaya)), and proceeded to go down the water slide. As I did, I realized I should pinch my nose, did so, and screamed as I splashed into the water. The ring in my nose pushed against the other side of my nose, and hurt a little bit, but I didn't think about it until Zachary, the Program Director, asked, "Are you bleeding?" I said, "No," and brought my finger to my nose, and I was, in fact, bleeding. A lot. Because I was wet, it kept dripping. Right down my neck. They found some gauze and I cleaned myself up, but there was no Biohazard bag, so I had to take my bloody gauze with me to my next activity, which was fire-building. I burned the gauze. There was no need to carry it around. Alicia and I rocked at the fire building, and then I beat Christian at ping-pong. Of course, we did only play one game. We had a cookout for supper, and I owned the fire, and the veggie burgers (and of course, the poor cow-flesh burgers).We had some good discussion before we headed down to play kickball. Which I was great at--until Christian started playing outfield. And when I did get on the field... let's just say I'm way too competitive for my own good. We had campfire, singing a whole bunch of songs that I had never heard before, and then went to bed. 

On Tuesday we went for a hike to the Back 40, which means a very steep hill with an awesome view. There were wild blueberries on the way. This was before lunch. After lunch we went rafting. Talk about a leadership developing activity. But I didn't want to be that person. We eventually figured out that Matt's paddling was the key to all issues of the raft going in any other direction, and then continued directing as so. We had to stop early because the other group's raft was leaking air. We had a camp out, and slept under the stars. I went in around three because I was cold. 

Wednesday was great! We did some challenge course activities which were frustrating and challenging at the same time. One favorite was the bouldering wall--there was a long strip that you had to boulder down. My other favorite was the wall that you had to get over. People had to lift you up, and someone had to pull you over the wall, and then you pulled them over the wall. After that, we were all exhausted, and I went back to the dining hall and Sherrie was there!! It was great just to talk to someone who wasn't work affiliated or anything, and just wanted to talk and see where I was with everything. After supper, Sylvia needed to go shopping, and as they were leaving, they caught me, and I got to go along. It was a wonderful break from what we were doing there. Sometimes I just need someone to steal me away before things that I want to do start feeling like obligations so I can be refreshed and relaxed for the next thing that I do. I got to bed at ten. 

Thursday showed up, and we had some great sessions--Ken Bontrager led a talk about telling your testimony, during which I had to poke Matt to keep him awake. Dan, Christa, and I went to Freedom Farms after lunch. We explored the property, met the family who owned it, and I picked shell peas, all the while taking it in, and LOVING it. I got to talk to Deborah Bontrager about my life. That was fun.We went to Walmart in the afternoon, and were told to find supper for three dollars. We were also shopping for all of camp's needs, so I rode in the cart with Alicia as she shopped for medicines for the camp. We also picked up some nose studs, since I was messing with my ring, and broke it during one of the sessions. For supper, I got a can of beans, a roll, a banana, and a Powerade Zero. The goal of this was to help the staff appreciate the $3 dinners that the camp makes. (which are awesome meals, and I'm a vegan). Then they took us all back to camp and we had a banquet (to show how awesome the $3 meals are) and a talent show. The talent show was fun, because they had a dance-off and a Camp Deerpark's Next Top Model. I walked in the Model one. That was a lot of fun. And then, towards the end, Christa and I sang two of my songs. That was a lot--a lot of fun. I love singing for people!

Friday rolls around, and with Christa and Dan supporting the ladder, I took the staff picture on the roof of the dining hall. Then we ate breakfast, cleaned up. I got to pick up litter around the camp. We left around eleven. The traffic was normal--bad, and we got there around two, and then passed out flyers for a little while, and then we drove to the drop-off station in the Bronx, which took way too long. We rode the Subway home. 

I ate beans, a bowl of bran flakes and soy milk, and vegan chocolate chips for supper. . . 

Prayer Requests and Praises:
--We got a much needed break from the city for a week, and will continue to go every Wednesday.
--I've been reading and running and praying a lot this past week! Thank God for that!
--I made new friends!
--Our day camp program starts on the 6th of July. We have 33 children coming for the morning program, which is free, but only five for the afternoon, which has a still very affordable tuition. Pray for enthusiastic and awesome volunteers.



No comments:

Post a Comment