Monday, April 21, 2014

Why a healthy pregnancy is different for everyone. (30 weeks)

WBodies are different. We all have different shapes, genetics, places where weight gain migrates. Because of this, I have issues with the one view of mainstream beauty. You know what I'm talking about. 

Super thin, long lean legs, angular bone structure in the face, no bumps of lumps (other than your lovely lady lumps). 

Yea, you say, it's a problem. But I've made peace with that. 
I understand. And then, pregnancy happens. And that happy medium of beauty comfort I found in my 170lb runners frame disappears under 55lbs all in the name of Naisa. 

And then I lose 35. Then ten creeps back on. I'm still feeling good, enjoying exercise and finding a rhythm. And then the rhythm disappears again. And we find ourselves expecting another treasure. I am overjoyed, founded in my own superpower of discipline. The first trimester weighs well. Nausea keeps the appetite away. Then the second trimester throws 25 pounds at me. The goal of less than ... Disappears with a number I told myself I wouldn't pass arriving as I stand I the scale. 

I get off. I get on. Same number. I stand on my tippee toes. Same number. I turn around. It drops three pounds. Surely the scale is broken! I am doing everything right! 

But I still can't fit into the name brand maternity jeans my mother bought for this pregnancy. Because the weight I unintentionally gained in the name of baby love has filled my legs to the rim! No, not just water retention! The curdles of cellulite texture my once smoother legs. A varicose vein peeks through my right knee.

But the appetite slows down! We experience a cold in the house and I wonder (hope) that my weight gain will slow down. Will I make it out of this pregnancy with less than 100lbs to lose? ( from my pre-Naisa pregnancy weight) 

I stop using the scale in the bathroom. (I stopped a long time ago) I start thinkin about my postpartum weight loss plan. I stop looking in the mirror. Which makes It a little discomfort able when I see my reflection on the way to the grocery store (and I'm waddling, which is also new) . And I have ten more weeks. 

I have accepted that I am the woman who gains lots during pregnancy. I know my body is eating healthy things. I am not eating Processed crap or tons of sweets. I am active. Not a crossfit mama or a runner mama. I t-Tapp and walk. But I get it in during the week. I take care of myself. I eat what I need and stop when I'm done. 

And I've come to realize: my body is different than your body. My pregnancy is different than your pregnancy, but a healthy pregnancy is a healthy mama and a healthy baby, in one package. With no blood pressure issues or glucose issues, I accept what I am. I love it. Because a beautiful baby is worth more than a number on the scale, clothes fitting, or a mental health valley, although I still have a bone to pick with the fashion designer that thought pregnancy clothes don't need stretch.


I love me, and I love you, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment