Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bringing Light to the Silence

Take Back the Night is a weeklong event that EMU takes part in during the school year. It's in recognition of those who have been sexually abused, and bringing openness and inviting people to talk about what has happened to them.

I decided to be on the Take Back the Night chapel committee for this year. I wasn't really sure what role I was going to take, for I originally wanted to be a part of the sidewalk chalk committee. That was fun for me last year. But Bekah was excited about the idea, so I joined. Later on in the week, I was thinking about how it would be awesome if I could write a song about the theme, Bringing Light to the Silence.

A couple of days ago, I was feeling overwhelmed by schoolwork and life, and I wrote these lyrics. I put melody to them yesterday. I wish I could post a recording, but no performance has been perfect yet, and nowhere near a microphone. Thus, here are my lyrics.

These echoing words aren't love.
I'm being taunted by my own thoughts.
The world doesn't need more pain.
I'm just repeating what's already been said.

Being broken can be mended
But my pieces have been lost along the way.
I'm not together the same
But only I notice I'm missing.

There's light on these dark walls,
And as I pray each day it's lighter.
And there are rainbows slipping through
The prisms I carry inside.
The promises I feel are real
They crumble the brokenness I felt
And my sould won't rock to sleep at night
With it's lips sown shut.
It's bringing light (and life and sound and song)
To this silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment