Sunday, June 17, 2012

PB&J, and water guns

Ben and I have been up to all sorts of things since my last post!
Mainly,  I've been working. This past week I babysat one of my families of three kids Monday through Thursday and then Saturday also.

The day would start around 7:30 and end around 5:15, and then I would go home, snuggle with my husband and crash around 9:30. During the day with the kids, I made them toast, I made them cereal, I made them PB & J (they really test my culinary skills) and try to figure out ways to turn the TV off (NO MORE DISNEY Channel! EVER!) and to get them to not fight (and maybe put some clothes on.)

The middle child decided that he wanted to be in charge of walking the dogs in for the summer, and he is supposed to do that before noon. Thus, my job is to walk one of the dogs with him, and we walk around the block (a little bit more than half a mile, I'd say). So I can usually get him dressed. The youngest, on the other hand will run around in his underwear and will only get dressed if he has to, and that usually doesn't happen, unless we go to the park. We did this on Friday (which was a nice break for me).

I've been reading books while I'm at their house and they are watching TV and require little attention (unless I hear screaming of crying). I've read through all the books that the mom owns by Dean Karnezes, an ultra marathon runner. I got back into Experiencing God, and also have continued my Bible reading, finishing Amos, Obadiah, and Galatians.

On Friday, I had off, so I made bierrocks, (and also bread) something Ben hadn't had before. He liked them, which was good because I figured we could have them the next day as part of our meal plan with the kids (who, again, requested PB & J).

We drove out to Canaan Valley Resort, where the mom and boyfriend were going to be running a 40 mile trail race the next day. ON the way, I was feeling pretty carsick, and Ben happened to scent the car with a fart, and I dry heaved a bit from the smell (this of course, made him lose it. He thought it was the most hilarious thing in the world.) We got in, got acquainted with the area, and then were too tired to do anything but sleep. We were in a room that was connected to the room the kids were in, we got to hang out with one more kid that day, whose dad was also doing the run.

Once they were all awake, I gave them breakfast (notice I did not say "made". it was bagels), and saved Danny, the extra child, from eating chocolate cake for breakfast (it was the only food that was available to him. Oh dear). Then I convinced them that we were going to go swimming in the morning and in the afternoon. But they had to digest breakfast, so they played with water guns (and I convinced them to change into their swimwear.). Once all the boys were soaked to the skin, we decided to go to the pool. Gigi brough her sketchbook to the pool but then decided that she would swim with Rowie, who was the youngest and wasn't going to be able to swim in the deep end.

They brought the water guns to the pool. Enough said. I got bored and Ben and I needed to check out of the room we were in by noon, so I made them all get out and move out of the two attaching rooms by noon. Then I made them lunch (PB & J, anyone?) and they decided to play a version of the Hunger games with water guns. and guns guns guns! I got so sick of those freaking guns. After the second round of the Hunger Games, we went back to the pool and they swam while I watched to see when the parents would come through the finish line (which was by the pool.We waited, and waited, and 4 pm came and went, and then it was 5 and the dad of the extra child I had came through the finish line, and then the mom's boyfriend came through. I went to talk to him, even though he'd just finished the race and was clearly exhausted, and told him I was leaving, gave him all the keys that I had and told him where the kids were.

Then I walked back to the room, and removed my sunburnt, sick-of-bierrocks, chair-ridden husband from the porch, and we went to dinner at a seafood restaurant down the road from the resort we were in. And drove home. On the way home, we were joking about being pulled over for passing on a road with double yellow lines.
Ben's best one-liner: "I like to pass in those lanes because I like the challenge."
Mine: "The two double lines in the middle of the road represent the two lanes in the road, and they both go the same way, representin' how we're supposed to be drivin'. Side by side. I was trying to drive next to you, officer, and instead you pulled me over."

Yep. It was a long Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment