Saturday, June 02, 2012

Chili (modified recipe)

Something I'm good at is improvising. This happens often with recipes because the only grade I receive on them is flavor, and it might as well be the best flavor ever, so I change things to suite the recipe, plus my, and my husband's taste.
In this case, I was using the recipe my mom always made when I grew up for Chili.

I've always loved thicker chili, so I used less water, added more chili, and changed a couple other ingredients. Sorry there aren't any pictures. I was multitasking while making this chili, including having a friend over, breaking and cleaning up a glass jar, band-aiding a cut from the broken glass, and trying not to forget any ingredients.

Grace's Modified Chili
First, I sauteed, in olive oil, the following veggies until they were softened a bit. Didn't want any crunchy celery disrupting the digestion of this chili!
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (i'll do more next time, probably 2 or 3) (minced)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 stalk celery (chopped finely)

Then I added:
More than a pound of chicken (we roasted it on Sunday, and it was a chunker of a bird. We hadn't finished it yet and so we put it in the soup.)

Then I poured in
prepared black beans (these were made in the crock pot, about 2 cups)
1 can pork n beans
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can tomato soup
1 can diced tomatoes

From there, I added
2 Tblsp chili powder
Salt and pepper

And then I let it simmer for an hour, let the flavors blend (not on heat) for an hour, and then served the chili to my grandparents who were coming for dinner. :) It was delicious. We ate it with Greek yogurt and sharp cheddar cheese as toppings.

Yum. Yum. Yum. There were barely any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment