Monday, June 04, 2012

Cravings, Company, Avocados, Babysitting, and Bread-eating

So the past few days have been rather busy. We've had several people over to our apartment, have fed them and enjoyed their company! We had my grandparents over for chili on Saturday and then our good friends Daniel and Meg over for taco salad on Sunday for dinner. We had a great time, playing Uno and Rook, talking, and giggling. We ended with a prayer for our transitions and for a job for Ben.

I haven't been craving much of anything really, although earlier I had an inclining to cottage cheese and chocolate. But yesterday and the day before, I was craving oven fries. The day before, I decided it would take too long and settled for eating other things. . . several other things. So I decided yesterday that it wouldn't be too much of an issue to make the oven fries. So I sliced up a potato, coated a pan with olive oil, placed the slices on the pan with sea salt and black pepper, stuck it in our tiny toaster oven, set it to 400 degrees and 30 minutes and waited.

In our beautiful bowl from Mexico. :)

They came out nice and toasted, (I flipped once during the cooking time) and I enjoyed them with ketchup. Mmmmm! Totally worth it.

Ben and I have been enjoying a few avocados lately, and last night had guacamole with our taco salad. I decided to keep the pit and see if I could get it to take root and start growing, just for kicks, so I did that today. If you look at it, you will see I did not have any toothpicks on hand, so used paper clips and our (empty :( ) honey jar.



Today I started my second babysitting job. I'm working with two different families this summer, one on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and the other on Tuesday and Thursday. I had a great time today! The kids built a hiding place with stuff animals, pillows, and blankets in the bottom bunk of a bed. We went to the library and signed them up for the Summer reading program, and got some books (and I got a library card!) I helped the oldest boy make a puppet out of an old washcloth (and retaught him to sew). I made them lunch (mac n cheese and fresh peas!). I played two square with the girl (for a little while, and then played two square with the younger boy. And soccer, and ultimate frisbee. And I taught him how to play Rummy. It was an eventful six hours.

Prior to rising in the pans, the beautiful bread.
I made bread yesterday (two loaves), and as it is, there is only one left. There are a couple reasons for this. Reason #1: Ben sliced inch thick slices for Daniel and Meg (and me and himself) last night for after our meal. Reason #2: Ben really likes the bread. Reason #3: I like the bread too, but take smaller slices. Reason #4: Ben thinks the bread is cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment