Monday, April 12, 2010

Snapping Back Badly and Second Chances.

After that late-night bus ride home from home, I got back to DC on Monday, but I woke up Tuesday morning unable to function and so I didn't go to work. I got an email from Colman asking me to teach Thursday's class, so I went to work Wednesday. The days were warm and cozy, and the nights lukewarm and perfect to be out in the yard. I worked Thursday too, still tired, still adjusting. I had found out that Zach was going to be on the internet Thursday morning, but I also knew that I had to work. When I got the message from D that Zach was online at 9:30, at 10:30, and I knew I'd missed him, that ticked me off. Even though I knew that it wasn't going to work out. I was just mentally tired, and physically pooped. I worked in the yard that afternoon--cleared three LARGE bags of leaves and branches--one for each hour I worked, and somehow went to bed later than I planned again. So when my alarm went off for 5:45am Friday morning, I knew that it wasn't going to happen, and I slept in until 8:30. I felt guilty about it until I joined the living in the living room.

After some pronounced bad advice on the proportions of grounds to water, Sanj made coffee, Jess and Sanj drank it, and the caffeine took control of the two. I participated in the drug-induced energy by pouring myself a cup.

This made for some ecstatic arrivals of people who were coming to visit our people in the house. Alli came six hours early to surprise Sanj on their three month anniversary, and made his day/weekend.
Friday went completely well after that. Alli and I made bread. I weeded in the backyard. I played the piano--worked on an old song, making it relevant and better, and then Alli came downstairs, found me at the piano, and told me that I was coming with her, Sanj, and Lindsay to General Brook's Tavern.
So there was some chaos with people, cars, and driving, and then it was me, Alli, and Lindsay, sitting in the back of a restuarant, trying to figure out what to order that was vegan, and talking about church experiences.

Sanj came eventually, as did our food, though it was not the best.
When we came back to the house, there were a lot of people there--Phillip, James, Esther, Josh, and Erin--all invited by Jess. They were going to go Salsa Dancing.
I went to bed.

Saturday morning, I did yard work for Kim. I raked massive amounts of leaves to the compust bin, planted potatoes, and sprayed the pollen off of the porches. I finished at twelve, and then went back to the house, I made lunch.

Whilst I was making lunch, Fets and Lindsay were looking up sand volleyball courts, and asking who wanted to go. Corrie did, of course Lindsay and Fetsum did, and then Andrew and Monica (Andrew's fiancee) were also going. They asked me if I wanted to come. When I hesitated to answer, Linsday said, "Grace, I used to feel like you loved me, but now it's just not the same."
Fetsum said, "Grace, I feel the same."
Corrie chimed in. "Yeah, Grace. If you don't go, I'm still mad about my haircut." (That is a long story.)
I still didn't say anything, but instead decided to go then.

We left, took the house car, sitting four people in the backseat--Lindsay was lying across Fets, Corr, and I in the back seat--following directions from Google maps, and Lindsay's phone. We ended up at Rock Creek Park, and there were no outdoor volleyball courts there, so we went to the second destination.
It was in Tenleytown, and American University, which we found out when we followed a wild goose chase to a dead end in a residential area, with a path to a fence where we could see the volleyball court.
So we finally arrived at American University, and then we played volleyball. It was a lot of fun. Our team sucked.

We drove back, Lindsay rode on the floor of the back and when we got home, there was a cookout going on. Jess' group was going to go swing dancing, but then they were all so exhausted from hiking about the city all day that they didn't end up going. But there was a lot of good in that--Phillip played the piano in the basement.

Sunday rolled around. I attended House Church, and I played "Same as Me" after the mediation and it was well-accepted. I'm just starting to get to know people there, so it's hard for me to think that I have less than a month left here in D.C. Visiting people left on Sunday. Most of the girls in the house tanned in the back for most of the afternoon. I got an email from Zach, but it wasn't what I was expecting--it felt like an email my name was thrown into the address of, and that that was unfair to me. So I wrote a song, broke the spring on the damper pedal of the piano, and then went to see "Sophisticated Ladies" with the house.

Today the routine started up again. It was ok. I could take it. It was better than last week, and I got things done, and felt like my presence was meaningful. I meant to take a nap, and I lay out in the sun (SPF30 protected, no less).
I fixed the piano pedal.
I'm halfway funded for my summer missions trip. Thank you people of awesomeness, and the God who provides.
I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment