Friday, April 02, 2010

Greyhound and More


I left the Epps' house on Tuesday evening, and rode the Greyhound Bus to Toledo by Wednesday morning. To say that it was interesting is an understatement. Only I would start a conversation with someone who I later found out was a gang member that would think I was cute in my glasses, sweatpants, sports bra, no make-up etc. My personality must really shine.
There were too many layovers (one was an hour and fifteen minutes and the other fifty minutes) and the second ride I didn't get a window seat, so I wasn't comfortable enough to sleep. The third ride I had a window seat, but was too awake to fall asleep, and so I started being productive and wrote some of my paper for seminar. Ugh that silly paper. I've learned a lot about the church I attended through the interviews though. I'm supposed to write about it and compare it to my experiences at a different church.
I got to Toledo at 6:00am and my mom came and picked me up. We got home around seven. Marie was getting ready for school, and I got to see her before she left. Then I went to bed. Mom took me to the hair stylist to get my hair cut and then I came home and went for a walk with Mom and Dad. There's this trail about three quarters of a mile away from the house that we walked at. Then I got home and drove to the Hazlett house. It took about three and a half hours to get there... it gets longer every time. But it was so great to arrive and see Zach's family. His dad was sick while I was there, but everyone else except Taylor, who came home after I left, spent the evening together--we had some giggle fests while I ate supper, and ended up watching Fantastic Mr. Fox. Now I understand the conversations when Zach was talking about these characters said "cuss" instead of swearing at each other. It was a great movie. totally loved it. I went to bed early. especially at their house--eleven o-clock. I slept in Zach's room because my room has been converted into a TV/studio/big-TV-screen-with-a-mac-mini-attached-so-it's-a-blast-to-go-on-to-watch-iMovies-Zach's-siblings-have-made-in-the-past-few-months room.
His room was painted--the walls are now the same color as the hallway to the upstairs, and it seems much cleaner (because all the things that were in the corner with the fishtank is now located in the closet.)
The next morning, I spent a lot of time with Noraa, Jaynie, and D. It was fun. Noraa and Jaynie have three bunnies that they are taking care of right now. Noraa named hers Greybelle, and if it's a boy, GrayBill. :P We swung in the hammock together, and I heard a story about one time when Noraa stood on Zach's shoulders and made this character that did the Dooba Dooba Dance. . . (with his arms, but Noraa's head). . Noraa, Jaynie, and Pop went for a bike ride while I was there, it was so nice. D was making granola for the Easter service at church. It was really good, and she sent some home with me. 
I talked to D about foreign languages and pets, and told her excitedly about how someday I want to card wool to get the poop out of it (or that's how she interpreted it.)
Then I left that afternoon, and got a speeding ticket on the way home. It really sucked because I hadn't sped at all the entire time I was driving, until I checked my phone, and saw that Marie needed the car by five. Irrationally thinking I could make it home by then if I drove faster (there was no way), and realized that that wouldn't work, slowed down, and then I saw the police officer behind me. Meh. Made me mad. I sang worship songs really loud all the way home. 
I watched Bolt! it was funny, but not as good as I expected it to be. Miley Cyrus ruined it for me. 
Our church had it's Maundy-Thursday dinner and Tenebrae service. I arrived as I came home. As usual, I didn't know who to talk to and who to sit with, but people come and sit next to me,  So I ended up at an interesting table with lots of spunky older adults. 
I talked about myself a little (as the questions always do come) but then the attention turned to Ruth, a lady in her thirties with a boyfriend a couple hours away and why these people hadn't met him yet and etc..
On Friday, Mom and I went for a long walk with Rocket and then I took a shower to see how curly my hair would be with my new hair cut (and because I needed one). Pretty curly :), 
We went to the zoo, and it was PACKED. We usually go during the winter and so there aren't that many people there. The best place at the zoo this time for me was the greenhouse--there weren't many people there, and there was a banana tree with little green bananas on it. :) that was awesome. 
We drove to University of Toledo to see my friend Kristen. She went to Streetsboro from seventh grade through nineth grade, and was in my close group of friends before her family moved to Hudson (a town next door to Streetsboro, where I had my indoor soccer league). It was great to see her and we went to Arby's to sit because my family was so tired. We got to reminise and talk about school and friends and things. 
Now we are home, and I made an improvised version of curried tofu stirfry for supper. Mom and I worked on my prayer and financial support letter for my GO assignment. 
It has been great to play the piano at my own home. 

1 comment:

  1. Grace. I love you! IT was awesome and amazing to see you that day! thanks so much for having your family come visit me. I dont know if I expressed how much I appreciate your visit, but I truly did. It was the begining to my excellent weekend , and i'm 100% positive your're the reason it started off so well. Your life seems so intresting nowadays and I truly do love reading your blogs. You're such a good writer and somewhat inspire me to become a better story teller.

    I wish you well on your endeavors my good friend, and I wish/hope for all the best.

    Con much <3,
    Kristen Ashley

    ReplyDelete